E85 Fuel

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
one of my honda tuner buds is running straight e85 conversion in his civic, stock internals (block) has head, cam, intake and exhaust mods (n/a) he is puttin down 400 whp, think its all in the tune.

he did however tell me that it would be safe to (on an emtpy tank) add 1-2 gal of e85 and top off with 87 or higher. they did a dyno tune on an mk3 turbo, stock, and had an increase in power, cooler engine temp,and better response from engine. i am gonna look into it more see if he can give me more info.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
i said i was gonna get more info from him on i may have mis heard him, on his mods but it 400 hp. e-85 vonversion. i will ask him what all is done.

that was not the main point though. was the fact that they were testin with e85 on s stock turbo supra, and got a good gain and response out of it with just 2 gal of e-85. and no damage done on engine on the dyno.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
89supra7mgte;1474624 said:
i said i was gonna get more info from him on i may have mis heard him, on his mods but it 400 hp. e-85 vonversion. i will ask him what all is done.

that was not the main point though. was the fact that they were testin with e85 on s stock turbo supra, and got a good gain and response out of it with just 2 gal of e-85. and no damage done on engine on the dyno.

How did they achieve the gain?

More timing?

more boost?

or did the Alc just lean it down enough to make more power?

hint <the gain wasn't from the fuel on it's own>......

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
i was thinking about that as well i am going to contact him and get more specifics on it, and more info about his set up as well to correct my own misunderstanding.

they would have had to do some tuning i am sure as you are right fuel alone doesnt increase all that much.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
89supra7mgte;1474715 said:
i was thinking about that as well i am going to contact him and get more specifics on it, and more info about his set up as well to correct my own misunderstanding.

they would have had to do some tuning i am sure as you are right fuel alone doesnt increase any unless it's Nitro.

fify ;)

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
i am pretty sure everyone knew what i meant when i said fuel alone doesnt increase power much, i run 112 in my bike and that makes a huge difference over 91.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
89supra7mgte;1474730 said:
i am pretty sure everyone knew what i meant when i said fuel alone doesnt increase power much, i run 112 in my bike and that makes a huge difference over 91.

Not without a change in tune it doesn't......

Only way it would make a difference tipping a can in is if the bike has either a flex fuel sensor or a knock sensor that pulls timing when on 91.

Higher octane is the LESS powerful fuel as it's only job is to raise the knock threshold.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
2 gallons of e85 to a stock mkiii supra gas tank = 94 octane when mixed with pump 93. Id reconsider the "advice" your getting.

Stop posting what your bud bob did on some other car. It's bad for future searches. To many follow the "he did it and his car still runs" motto.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
IJ.;1474735 said:
Not without a change in tune it doesn't......
........Higher octane is the LESS powerful fuel as it's only job is to raise the knock threshold.

Yup.
When my son started racing karts at the ripe old age of 8, the class had a lot of restrictions on the engine, including timing settings & compression ratio.
I tried different race fuels that I had used in my bikes, and we just couldn't get the thing up to par.
When I just threw plain pump gas in the thing for a day of practice, the engine came alive, and ran competitive lap times.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
mkIIIman089;1473361 said:
Ethanol fuel (10 or 85 or 100) is a step backwards from gasoline, in almost every conceivable way.

incorrect.

btu per gallon is less but you don't tune any fuel to the gallon. You tune it to lambda. When tuned to lambda, ethanol, methanol WILL produce more power as there is more of it.

mkIIIman089;1473394 said:
You need ~25% more to safely maintain power levels of gasoline, E85 is what... $.20 cheaper than gasoline per gallon? That doesn't add up to cheaper at all!

Corn ethanol is worthless, from a business/cost, performance, and longevity perspective.

incorrect.

try putting down 800rwhp on the 3.0L/3.2L as supraforums has been doing on e85 v 91 octane and see how far that motor last on 91, same with the mitsu folks on the 4g63. More INEXPENSIVE than running c12 in the tank.

again to produce power, the last concern should be MPG as at 800rwhp, you will be going through the tank in no time flat.