Dyno with filter on or off?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Has anybody done any back to back testing?

I am wondering at what level mine would be a restriction, or if there is any rule of thumb going about selecting a new one.

I made 635rwhp @ 27PSI with the filter on, but I expected a lot more out of it with this setup.

I am using a beat up K&N unit, 4 inch inlet.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
dam impressive numbers with a K&N.
i would replace that with a dry element,ive heard nothing but bad about a oil impregnated filter and our type of afm

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Here's my take on it. I personally don't care about dyno numbers, but rather real world numbers. Ultimately, my car was a street car, so while a dyno was good to help me judge performance gains from x modifications, they're really just "bragging rights" when comparing to another car tested on a different dyno. (This is my opinion, of course)

If your car is not a dyno queen, dead set on getting the highest number then just roll with what you've got. Although, I personally dislike K&N filters, and much prefer an AEM DryFlow, or Apex-i dryflow filter. The way I see it, is if you're not going to run on the street with no filter, then there's no need to take it off while you dyno. :)

Disclaimer: it's a terrible idea to run ANY car without an air filter. EVER!

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
on the butt dyno, no noticable difference. from stock to a high flow you notice it, but from high flow to none i never noticed a difference. im using the hks green foam filter.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tested this a few years back as I suspected my CAI might have been a restriction, the "difference" was within the error margin of the Dyno, surprised me and my Dyno guy.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
The air filter has a kind of velocity stack in it. If you remove it a bare pipe will get worse efficiency. Remove the ps if you want higher numbers

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I have seen a couple of MKIV dynos on SF where the filter hurt power by a lot (massive turbos). Even though it was a massive 5 inch pipe going to the fender, they gained a butt load by removing the intake. I really don't have time to search for one of those threads right now...

I agree that I should always run a filter on the street. For the dyno, I want to know if that number is all it would put out. I increased the timing all the way to the point of no gain, and back down a degree. I'm running aggressive on 50/50, but I am not making the power a lot of other guys are making with a 74mm.

I know the block I was on was old, but 27PSI on a 74mm turbo with maxed timing on 93 and 50/50 just makes me feel something is wrong based on the power. If the filter is as much of a potential restriction, I'd like to try another brand like AEM.

Only problem, the manifold and intercooler piping are restricting my options to a shortie style 4 inch inlet, and I can't seem to find one. Another concern, once I do find one that fits perfect, it may not have enough surface area or flow as much as the one I am removing.

Shaeff, I hear ya. I just want to make as much power as my engine is going to make. On the dyno, on the street, wherever.

I'm going to look around, and I'm open to ideas. Thanks.

supraman7mgte;1682970 said:
dam impressive numbers with a K&N.
i would replace that with a dry element,ive heard nothing but bad about a oil impregnated filter and our type of afm
Thanks.

I washed all the oil off my K&N anyway, AFM or not. A new dry element is in my future :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Without oil, K&N isn't doing a whole lot of good anyway. It may be worth testing, but be careful! You have a 600HP vacuum, so watch your hands...

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
It should flow more without oil. When it comes to my car on high boost, there's a restriction somewhere. I am using a greddy 3 row, which should be good for a bit more being 2.5 in and 2.75 to the throttle body. I have seen stock intake manifold cars make more than me I just think I have a restriction somewhere. Now that I am going with .5 less displacement with the same turbo, I'd like to get more top end breath and use the extra 1,000 rpms.

There's like, four 90 degree bends before the intercooler.... how bad is this, and would it really effect overall power? I thought just spool up.

Would this be restrictive at my power levels? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIS-21-205DK/ That's what I'm worried about, having less surface area.... It looks like the only one that will fit perfectly.

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
i use the dyno to tune and also to see if i am on par with other setups with the same type of mods. I am far from a dyno queen however i go alot whenever i change something of significance. This way i can see where i gain or loose and decide if i like it. Check your filter on the dyno when you are done with your tune at some point change nothing then remove it. If it shows more than 10whp then you can decide if you want to change.

At this time i use a k&n oil or no oil will make no difference. Also when on the dyno i run back to back with little cool down. It shows a lower number but the coolant temps and intake temps are cooler on the street, allowing for a margin of error with the timing. Also on your set up i would drop more than a degree of timing after your peak numbers.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I was going to test this with my car on the dyno but i have some lines to deal with so it was ntot hat easy

but i was thinking on make bell mouth clip on for when i am at the drag strip be cause an open pipe is not going to improve nothing

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
RacerXJ220;1683074 said:
It should flow more without oil. When it comes to my car on high boost, there's a restriction somewhere. I am using a greddy 3 row, which should be good for a bit more being 2.5 in and 2.75 to the throttle body. I have seen stock intake manifold cars make more than me I just think I have a restriction somewhere. Now that I am going with .5 less displacement with the same turbo, I'd like to get more top end breath and use the extra 1,000 rpms.

There's like, four 90 degree bends before the intercooler.... how bad is this, and would it really effect overall power? I thought just spool up.

Would this be restrictive at my power levels? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIS-21-205DK/ That's what I'm worried about, having less surface area.... It looks like the only one that will fit perfectly.

clear out your pm box