Dying on acceleration, car dies after reving it, 7mgte project

87Supra600

Jul 26, 2014
Rhode Island
Alright so i gutted my supra and took everything that was not necessary out of it. I have a 1987 toyota supra with a 7mgte motor. The engine harness is the only stock harness in the car everything else is made from scratch and anything not attached to a vital engine component was removed. I drove the car from my shop to my house about 3 miles away about 4 weeks ago and it drove and ran fine but then i get it home and have it almost done and ready to drive and now its bogging and stalling just revving it in neutral?

Now what is happening is its idling kinda crappy but not bad just a slight sputter heard from the exhaust not a clean solid idle, and when i try to rev the motor if i twist the throttle kinda fast the car seems to lean out and bog really bad, then if i slowly bring throttle up it will work but then if i let the throttle go fast and once the rpm's drop the car dies.
Im guessing its the TPS sensor being misadjusted so i will check that after work tommorow. I unplugged the MAF and tried it and got same result then unplugged the TPS and still same result. I did not do them both at the same time.
(Any other possible causes?) Any info will help

Also when i press the brake pedal the lights come on fine but, my volt gauge drops almost 2 volts, im not sure why. Possibly the relay i used for brake lights is to high amperage? Also my alternator when first started doesnt charge but when it warms up alittle it starts producing 13.6 Volts. But voltage will drop when certain items are turned on? Could it possibly be hooking up alternator wires wrong or is the alternator just shot and wont produce enough voltage under load?

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
I would start by removing your alternator and having it tested at a parts store or rebuild shop. Alternators that are not charging or are producing too much ac voltage can cause many things to not work or run correctly. Start there and if you need a new alternator that may just fix all your problems.

585Soup

Mar 12, 2015
Colorado
Mine was doing that when I got it.. turned out the plug wire channel on the head was full of water, shorting out the spark plugs. cleaned it all out, put new wires and plugs in, problem solved.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
:( i was reading this and having the EXACT same issue except no water shorting anything out. all the specs on the TPS are good have tried unplugged it as well. its almost as if timing is off but doesn't mesh up. I topped #1 lined cams accordingly then inserted TPS all that jazz just idles ruff and if rev it will want to die after let off. no error codes but here is the kicker the Check engine light will come on after the car is revd. has a slight slug delay upon acceleration. Any ideas?

EDIT: forgot to come back to this.
my #1 injector plug was loose
Re-wired connector-
car ran great

Last edited:

maviday

May 7, 2015
Fresno Ca
Yeah I'm having the same kinda issue. I just got the car about 3 weeks ago and have gone through most of the wiring and checked every sensor. running bare essentials and going through everything one by one. It seems I have everything working properly but it still won't drive... revs fine in neutral, but that's about it. Oh yeah my first big issue was my cats being plugged. that was a pain in the ass. thought I had it figured out, then took it for a test drive and it won't accelerate, just wants to sputter and fart all over the place.