Dry sump turbo setup

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
Is there anyone on here running a dry sump system for there turbo. I was wanting to see what stuff people are using and the differant methods being used. cus on my project supra im wanting to use a dry sump setup for the turbo and the normal oiling system for the eng.

Yes, I know Holy Mother of Run on sentances!!!!

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
well i guess the main reason is to keep the turbo as cool and free of debrit as possible.The stuff that builds up alot faster in the eng than it does if the turbo had its own system. And i would like to use a aircraft synthetic oil for the turbo. wich i believe will work better for it, since its designed to basicly lube a giant turbo all day long. And thats bout the best i can word it for now.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A huge amount of complexity for minimal gain if any!

Just run a good quality synthetic in the motor.

If you're hell bent on doing this you would need a pump either electric or engine driven, a cooler and T Stat, a filter, a catch tank/reservoir mounted lower than the turbo or an electric scavenge pump or a second stage on the engine driven pump.

Figure minimum 1K by the time you plumb it......

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Ians right.... too much hastle for too little gain.

If you're going dry sump, dry sump the whole thing.

Also, turbine aircraft oil is not something to mess around with. Its very dangerous oil when your skin comes in bare contact with it.

TRUST ME.

Its also not designed for shear strength - Two parts mashing against each other. Its designed ONLY for super high speeds and high heat.

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
MDCmotorsports said:
Ians right.... too much hastle for too little gain.

If you're going dry sump, dry sump the whole thing.

Also, turbine aircraft oil is not something to mess around with. Its very dangerous oil when your skin comes in bare contact with it.

TRUST ME.

Its also not designed for shear strength - Two parts mashing against each other. Its designed ONLY for super high speeds and high heat.

LOL i def get jet eng oil on my skin every day so im not worried about that. I also know its not meant for shear strenth thats why i wouldnt use it in my whole eng i would only use it for the turbo... and i think i could do it for bout 300-700 dollars. wich to me is worth it.

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
well i will prolly try it out the only thing im having trouble with is the pumps for supply and scavege... i thougth some made like and inline gear type. I think I was sadly mistaken. I already have and oil cooler, filter setup and a tank(the tank is an old racecar dry sump tank i got from a buddy). The lines are jsut lines ill get those later.. its jsut a damn pair of pumps i need to find.