Driving music - My demo cd - Download & comment

Techno Supra

Hardcore DJ
JustAnotherVictim said:
Ok, I'll be honest.
It felt like I was listening to the same exact beat for 45 mins.
The backing drums never changed. Sure you put in some breaks and effects etc. but the main beat was always the same.
If that was the idea you definitely succeeded. It may just be me not "getting" it but I was thoroughly bored. :dunno:

Not sure which mix you're referring to. The psytrance mixes break often and then yes, it's back to the 4-4 count. The jungle mix has various beats throughout. As an electonic music dj, it's all about track selection, remixing, and beat matching. So if one record is playing along at 140 bpm (beats per minute), I need to match the next track's speed via a pitch (speed) shifter on the turntables so that the beats count together in time and the two tracks flow together as one remixed track. There are many subtle and not so subtle changes throughout the music, but the beat is merely the backbone.

If you can get past listening to just the beat and focus on the music, you may find it a lot less monotonous.

I appreciate your constructive criticism, most people that don't like electronica say the same or similar things. If I had more broken beat psytrance that followed the format I was going for it would have been in there. If your referring to the acid techno mixes, that's just techno, a constantly driving 4-4.

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
What JAV is trying to say is that after a while, a four to the floor just feels too derivative and formulaic. To anyone that doesn't listen to Trance, it sounds like you're not really trying to make good music, like it was thrown together in one day or so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your music is bad, for Trance this is pretty good Psytekk* (it's a bit minimalist to be Psychedelic),musically, my general rule of thumb is that: if you have to be doing something else while listening to the song (driving, drugs, etc), it's safe to say more can be done with the music, arrangement-wise. Even the druggiest Trancers will go along with a 1-measure breakbeat every now and again (or dare I say it, a 4-measure 8-to-the-floor).

Dynamics wise, you could do with some EQ-ing, compression, and limiters (just general mastering), it's a bit on the quiet side. I did a quick master on The mix just to show you how the volume could be better (Keep two things in mind when you hear it: 1. I can only do so much with one continuous file and 2. this is only .9dB louder than your original mix)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2...Fi (plus Limiter and BBE Sonic maximizer).mp3

That said, it's good Psytekk*, you should look into getting a distributor or selling cds at your DJ sets.
*I've only Listened to "Psy Fi" so far

Free Mastering Tools for you
http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

Last edited:

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Techno Supra said:
most people that don't like electronica say the same or similar things.
Since every person in America seems to like using this type of phrasing, I have just one other thing I need to clear up:

:rant: "ELECTRONICA" IS NOT JUST "TRANCE" !!!
:rant:"TRANCE" IS "TRANCE"!

ahh, much better!:icon_bigg

"Trance" only ONE of SEVEN main genres of "Electronica"(Downtempo, Jungle, Breakbeat, Techno, House, Trance, and Hardcore), and none of them sound alike!

By definition "Electronica" is:
Electronic music (like "The Crystal Method", "BT"),
Electronic-influenced music (like "Celldweller", Static-X, or "Nine Inch Nails")
Or both (Like "The Prodigy", "Pendulum")

Ugh, it's very annoying when I tell people I make "Electronica", they instantly beatbox a "four-to-the-floor" beat.
::moebaker:: (It causes me to want to punch through their teeth like I was Spiderman on crack)::moebaker::

To hear the differences in the styles go here:
www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html
This isn't really directed at Litmus, I'm just saying that when people use a whole type of music (Electronica) to describe one genre of that music type (Trance), it skews the perception of what Electronica is (as a whole). We can all do without that type of confusion.

Last edited:

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
^I have to disagree on that one. The trance mixes are good, but the jungle mix kinda felt more like itunes with crossfade on. I think I only counted maybe 9-10 songs (most jungle mixes are about 15+, at least). Aslo, it was kind of a weird mix, like 7 tracks themed from darkcore, then one with a dancehall sound, and one atmoshperic(?) It kinda went dark dark, dark, light, dark, dark, dark, dark, light the end (with no tracks really in between the two). You could try using a jump up track to transition into a lighter sound (Like LOAS' "Panda Style", it uses a darkish bass in a happy manner)
For everyone who thinks I'm being too harsh (and I very may well be, jungle is my favorite genre), here's what constitutes a pretty "decent" Jungle mix:

http://www.djendo.com/djendograveyardshift2.mp3

You'll probably be able to get away with calling it a mix in the states, but if you wanna be up to par with some great jungle DJs, I suggest you study up some really highly rated mixes (Like stuff from Hospital Records, Dieselboy, etc).

Last edited:

Techno Supra

Hardcore DJ
Well, the jungle mix was a trial run. It was a short mix that I threw out for critique. I don't think anyone's being harsh...I appreciate your honesty. I am a big fan of jungle and d&b, however, I don't have a ton of more recent tracks at the moment. I have a lot of older ragga and jump up stuff. I'm also working out of town and have limited gear. The psy and acid mixes were made on 2 tables and 2 cdjs with a pioneer mixer. The jungle mix was done on the fly with dj software, a laptop, and a m-audio usb mixer. It's fun but definitely not the same to me. It just happens to be all I have while on the road.

If I have time tonight I'm going to attempt to reorganize and extend the mix to over an hour.

Thanks everyone for your honesty.

Jervis: I am a big fan of Dieselboy, Dara, Ak1200, etc. I think The Dungeon Master's Guide cd is one of the best I've heard in a while. I think I have the track that samples Resident Evil...one of my favorites. I'll have to add that one on the final mix.

Last edited:

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Techno Supra said:
I am a big fan of jungle and d&b, however, I don't have a ton of more recent tracks at the moment. I have a lot of older ragga and jump up stuff.

You could check out Beatport.com for newer electronica tracks, but if an album you like is in physical cd form, I suggest buying it elsewhere. The main advantages of Beatport are you can listen to about half of each song, they are "Live-Ready", so you can toss them into Ableton Live 6, with no need to tweak the beatmaps, and they update pretty frequently. Bear in mind they don't all the Artists (they dont have Bad Company UK's "Reanimator" :cry: ).

Ragga,s cool, but some junglist have a difficult time getting into it, and even more Jungle "purist" have a great dislike of Jump up (I like it though:dunno: )

Here's a couple artists you could check out:
Amit
Klute
Ed Rush
Evol Intent
Matrix
Futurebound
Nu : Tone
Cyantific
High Contrast
Rufige Kru (aka Goldie's new moniker)
John B ( Mr. Electrostep himself)
Noisia
Concord Dawn
Some of DJ Fresh's stuff
Baron

There's way more, I just can't think of them all right now.

Techno Supra

Hardcore DJ
Jervis Mcstabby said:
You could check out Beatport.com for newer electronica tracks, but if an album you like is in physical cd form, I suggest buying it elsewhere. The main advantages of Beatport are you can listen to about half of each song, they are "Live-Ready", so you can toss them into Ableton Live 6, with no need to tweak the beatmaps, and they update pretty frequently. Bear in mind they don't all the Artists (they dont have Bad Company UK's "Reanimator" :cry: ).

Ragga,s cool, but some junglist have a difficult time getting into it, and even more Jungle "purist" have a great dislike of Jump up (I like it though:dunno: )

Here's a couple artists you could check out:
Amit
Klute
Ed Rush
Evol Intent
Matrix
Futurebound
Nu : Tone
Cyantific
High Contrast
Rufige Kru (aka Goldie's new moniker)
John B ( Mr. Electrostep himself)
Noisia
Concord Dawn
Some of DJ Fresh's stuff
Baron

There's way more, I just can't think of them all right now.

I recognize a few on that list. I'll definitely give the rest a listen. I use beatport a bit, but I didn't know it was Live ready. That's a bonus! Also, I really enjoyed that mix you posted. I was sold with the Manson intro from Portrait. Although, the last 15-20 minutes wasn't as good (track wise) as the first 3/4. It hasn't left the cd player in the car though.

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Techno Supra said:
I recognize a few on that list. I'll definitely give the rest a listen. I use beatport a bit, but I didn't know it was Live ready. That's a bonus! Also, I really enjoyed that mix you posted. I was sold with the Manson intro from Portrait. Although, the last 15-20 minutes wasn't as good (track wise) as the first 3/4. It hasn't left the cd player in the car though.

I feel the same way, but since it was about 70% good tracks, I felt it was a decent example.
Yeah as far I know, Beatport is live-ready, but I can't confirm that, I just found out all the tracks I bought somehow got corrupted.:cry:

Z

Zach Attack

Hey, nice music... I'm a big listener to underground German techno like schranz and stuff... I also listen to Acid Techno, Trance, and Drums 'n' Bass. Really like your stuff, if you make a CD, I'll buy it. :)