drilling the trunk

89mkthree

supies ignore irish luck!
Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
is it safe to drill into the trunk and put in a half inch screw. i want to drill on the passenger side right next to the spare tire well.

89mkthree

Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
im putting in a battery box, my battery is going in my trunk. im trying to balance out my tank of a sports car. i thought the gas tank was forward of the spare tire well?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nope the tank follows the contour of the well and kicks up on the floor next to it!

You can drill the floor a bit further towards the front for the cables but you need to look underneath and make sure there are no fuel lines/brake lines in the way!

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
There must be another way to mount it. I would say some very sticky velcro but that isnt too safe hahaha.

If someone has a good proven mounting method I would be very interested as well as I would love to do this at one point as well.

89mkthree

Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
well i have an optima so if it tipped over it wouldnt be too bad, lol. as for the cable, there is a grommet in the trunk i tink i can run it through.

thesandymancan

a.k.a: mittens
Mar 7, 2006
boise, idaho
you could weld the bolts to the floor. :dunno:

don't forget that if you relocate and want to run at the track, they might require a kill switch mounted somewhere on the outside of the car. they do around here anyway.

89mkthree

Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
ah gotcha, ive got a targa and the box only fits in one place really. plus i really dont want to put it in the well because i want it on the passenger side.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
you could use a crapload of super sticky double-sided tape, and i mean a lot. I cant take responsibility for it if something goes wrong but you could at least consider taping it down to a freshly washed surface with some sord of permanent adhesion. I still wouldnt reccomend doing so without some sort of emergency-strap though because something as heavy as a battery can be VERY dangerous in a vehicle if said object decides to break free and move about the interior. depending on how fast you are going the battery's weight can multiply several times over and then if it hits you...you're toast.

better idea of mine....
take out your spare tire and strap it down in there... there is already a threaded hole for a bolt and it's recessed so you will have a lower CG than if you mounted it above. you wont have a way of getting home on a flat but if you want your weight distributed better that much, it might be worth it to you. you could then maybe rig some sort of permanent tie-down system or even replace the stock plywood trunk liner and it would serve some protection for keeping the battery down if the bolt were to break. that is...if the battery will fit. if it does you wont even see it or loose luggage space :)

oops...i just re-read and you might have mentioned you dont want it there? oh well...i tried.

89mkthree

Apr 12, 2005
near chi town
fig: yeah the idea of an optima hitting me in the head at 60+ in an accident isnt really something im crazy about. i actually took out my spare 2 years ago so that wouldnt be a loss. i was thinking about mounting it sideways in the spare well. just to keep it all in the well, then i think i could make it stradle the center line to keep the weight balanced out. id rather not mount it there but i will if i have to.

Kwante: even though i just pulled my motor in my driveway...i dont want to drop my gas tank cuz i hear its kinda a pain....