drag setup. wiring in the alternator

87ttsupra

Wee turbo!!!
Apr 9, 2008
pueblo west
Hey guys I've been building my car for the last two years and am getting close to being finished. I've stripped out evey wire in the car, and I'm going with a standalone ecu. What I'm looking for info for is how should I wire up my alternator? I'm installing coustom fuse boxes, a rear mounted battery, 12v switches for fuel, ignition,fan,ect. I've read that takeing one wire and atatching it to the battey and one grounded then the rest to the 12v switch. I heard this on a Chevy forum so not sure if its the same for imports so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Alternator should be powering the ecu and what ever gauges and other things you have.
There should be a pos wire that goes directly to the starter and another wire that goes to the battery to recharge it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It needs to be setup so that the kill switch separates the parts producing power - the battery and alternator - from the parts using power - the ecu, etc. One of the tests that the track inspection guys like to try is flipping your kill switch with the engine on. If it shuts off, you're good. If it doesn't, you fail.

87ttsupra

Wee turbo!!!
Apr 9, 2008
pueblo west
Okay that makes sense. So take and go battery alternator, then kill switch, and the all my gagues and ecu. Dose that sound about right?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I had to install the kill switch setup after my battery was relocated to the trunk due to engine bay space limitations.

It is true the track will have you start your car and they will operate the kill switch to see if in fact in kills the batteries power link and also check that your alternator is also cut out.

You do not have to run the heavy guage waire from the alternator obviously. There is a single small guage wire that can be used to shut off the alternators charging and running the cars electrical with not battery. This wire needs to be routed back to the kill switch only. If you don't then the car will run obviously off the alternators power and not pass track test inspection.