Don't be alarmed!

suprasuprax

Jul 28, 2012
California
lol i thought it was a clever title..

Ok so my factory alarm has this problem..basically every time I unlock the car, the alarm goes off. At first i had no problem with it and neither did my neighbors but I'm starting college soon and i gonna be commuting and leaving the house at around 7 and i'm almost positive i'm gonna be pissing some people off and getting complaints...any ideas on what i should do?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
JJ nailed it. For the time being, the passenger door will work. Didn't know you could open the hatch to cancel it... I guess it is a "door" and all, at least according to my registration. :p

I remember being a fresh Supra owner, with my car stranding itself because I didn't understand the alarm function. Fun times...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Bypass the damn thing. Find the control box between the gas and brake, and ground the orange/blue wire.

Of course, you shouldn't do this unless you have an aftermarket alarm.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jetjock;1865905 said:
From what I read here many still don't. I'm amazed at the gyrations some think they need to go through for resetting.
Haha, well in my defense, this was back in early 2006, I didn't even know about Supramania. Now if you are on here, I don't see why so many excuses, but if you're out in the wild (so to speak), I can see where people get confused. Simple to reset as lock it on a good door, then unlock it again, correct?

I didn't even realize that the alarm in my 89 actually does work. Went off for whatever random reason when I unlocked the car at work one day, surprised the hell out of me, since in the 3 prior years of owning it, it has never actually worked. :aigo:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Exactly. But, when the other switches wear out and/or he gets tired of playing musical doors...temporarily preventing it from arming would prevent him from getting jumped by his neighbors every morning. ;)

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
My mkiii is doing the same thing now. I know this thread is dead more or less, but if I could have a couple questions answered that would be great. Where and how much could I buy a new one? Is it something worth getting from a salvage yard considering they where out? And can a passenger side sensor be used on the driver side? (They wear out so might as well savage one from the door that likely wasn't used much.) Hopefully somebody can help here.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
hey...it runs;1870367 said:
Where and how much could I buy a new one? Is it something worth getting from a salvage yard considering they where out? And can a passenger side sensor be used on the driver side? (They wear out so might as well savage one from the door that likely wasn't used much.) Hopefully somebody can help here.
-Should be able to get them from Toyota. If not, try Rock Auto.
-Salvage yard car, it all depends on the life of the car. A car that spent its life in the garage with the doors rarely locked, probably going to have door lock guts that are in fantastic shape. However, that car is likely also in fantastic shape, and won't be in a salvage yard. ;)
-As for sensors swapping sides, can't help you there, I don't know. The TSRM or TEWD might though. Try cross referencing the parts catalog with what you find out.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I would buy new. Can't answer about right verses left but they do show as different part numbers. It also makes sense the rotation would be opposite. That said swapping two wires ought to solve the problem. In fact that may be why the different P/N. I'm guessing at that though.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Thanks guys! I'll be obtaining one soon hopefully. On a related note, I remembered that I dynamatted my door last time I had it apart. Lol this could be interesting.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
hey...it runs;1870807 said:
Thanks guys! I'll be obtaining one soon hopefully. On a related note, I remembered that I dynamatted my door last time I had it apart. Lol this could be interesting.
I won't call it a mistake (rather a learning experience haha), but I did the same thing. As a result, I've learned it is just best to leave my passenger window up if I can help it, since my window motor or regulator is on its way out. Good luck to you sir! :p