Dok's E85 powered 2jzge-T build

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Got me a new tow rig today, gonna be nice to tow the car to the track and not have to worry about breaking it :D

ext2g.jpg

'99 F350 7.3L diesel with a 6spd manual, had to get something with a turbo on it of course :) Has 290k but that's nuttin for a diesel and also needs a new rear axle and a set of tires, but I couldn't pass it up for $1800...

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
290k is nothin on those like you said

foreman for my dads company has one with 480k on the original motor, just regular tune ups, had to replace the water pump once and the trans once

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Thanks guys, very stoked about the powerstroke, already doing WVO conversion research :)

Dave-E85 runs about $.50/gallon cheaper than premium down here, it's around $2.19 right now. Can't beat it for cheap race gas!

mytbo87

Nov 16, 2007
Utah
I want to thank you and all that particapated in helping you out. but dam man 57 pages :aigo: my eyes are blurry and my cordles mouse is charging as i speak er a type. the ups and downs wow. but we all shared in the joy of went things went right. i still have to go back and go to some of you oter post/links. the information you have given me has made things so much clearer as in the 2jz-na-t swap. thanks for sharing withus all.

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

If you are still having probs with the ignition check this out for some ideas or even contact for help.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590013

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
Question. didnt really find the answer. Will the stock 7mgte spark plug Wires work on the 2jzge? I feel like they dont snap onto the spark plugs....too short maybe?

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
It seems to depend on the brand, I had a set of NGK wires and a couple weren't long enough but then bought some Bosch wires and they fit ok. You do have to slide the boot up some on the wire to ensure they click on to the top of the spark plugs, I think the valley cover on the 2j is taller than the 7M. I've since moved to the IS300 COP setup which cleans things up nicely!

Been a while since I updated this thread, 2 years in fact! I blew up my r154 back in February and decided to do an all out rebuild with Marlin Crawler goodies which were unfortunately on back order for months. Finally got the trans together a few weeks ago and pulled the old one out last night only to find that buckled one of the straps on my South Bend pressure plate:
imagejpeg_5.jpgimagejpeg_2.jpgimagejpeg_3.jpgimagejpeg_4.jpg

Not sure if this happend when the trans blew or if it happened before and the clutch was still working but it looks like I'll at least need a new pressure plate. I'd love to just throw a twin disc in there but I don't have the coin for that right now. Good news is the clutch disc looks great even though it was pushed past its torque holding capacity for about 3 years...

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
thanks for info man.....i will try to do so...will start on a new thread on my project very soon, hopefully i will get advise on there too.

sucks to hear about the trans but im sure the built one will take the punishment. Not sure about the PP tho...spring might be out of wack.

Definitely keep us updated.

suprakidd

Feb 11, 2011
Glendale, Arizona, United States
yay an update LOL. would you feel comfortable bending it back into shape at using it?

may give you time to gather the coin for a twin disc and enjoy the cars a bit more?

but if it cant be bent back it to "reasonable" shape then, well that shit sucks.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
At this point the metal is already fatigued so it would just bend again, even if it was fixable I'm not sure I'd put another stock style pressure plate in as it would only be a matter of time before it twisted again without something keeping it from doing so. I thought about turning the boost down and putting a cheap stock pressure plate back in but what's the fun in that?? Goes with the territory on a modified car, can't fault South Bend either since I'm about 60ft-lbs over the rated capacity of the clutch and it held up fine after multiple trips to the strip running slicks etc.

Juhanis from SF has built a couple of flex plates with guide pins to help with this issue so I may look into that unless I can find a deal on a used twin disc...

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Got 'er all back together tonight and it seems I made a rookie mistake--put the dang clutch disc in backwards! This is probably the 10th clutch install I've done but I guess that's what happens when you're worn out and in a hurry, I also blame a lack of beer intake. For anyone with a South Bend OFE-the feramic side goes towards the flywheel :) On the plus side SB completely rebuilt the clutch for $95 and increased clamping force as much as they could free of charge so I should have ~40ft-lbs or so of extra capacity.

I've gotten quite a bit done on the car over the past few weeks-new koni's on the front (bumpstops fell apart and led to the demise of the ones previously on there), CPS rebuilt, PS pump rebuilt, bunch of other odds and ends. Hopefully won't take me as long to pull the trans and remedy the clutch issue tomorrow since everything is fresh in my mind, I've got a backlog of baby furniture to assemble...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
baby furniture > supra..................wow, two years ago I would have never posted that........lol

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Was basically the same as it would be running on gas, just need bigger injectors. With the lex AFM and 880cc injectors I was able to tune it pretty easily, you can also adjust your base fuel pressure as needed and fine tune with the piggyback. The stock ECU adjusts pretty well to changes in mixture ratios, my car runs fine even on the winter mixture ethanol. You won't have the flexibility to switch back and forth between E85 and 93octane but that hasn't been an issue for me as of yet. Megasquirt may also be an option for you if you need something lower cost, they even have the capability of using the GM flex fuel sensor to adjust based on mixture ratios...

Update on the car-got the disc flipped around and everything back together yesterday, clutch works fine now that it's in the right way :) Also got all the baby furniture assembled so the wife is happy and there's 1 more thing off my to-do list. Just need to pick up an exhaust gasket today and should be able to drive the Supra for the first time since last November!

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Done and not done, got 500mi of clutch break-in ahead of me... Took a spin around the block, so far so good, also cleaned all the crud from sitting off and put a coat of wax on, it's a slightly shinier shade of pink now :)

I ran with the Lex and 680cc injectors before upgrading to the 880s, probably ~400rwhp. Good way to estimate would be to use one of the online injector size calculators and add 30%.