does this sound like the infamous bhg???

grnmk3

May 31, 2007
San Diego
i was leaving work yesterday and 2 miles down the road my car started sounding like a helicopter, after 15 seconds i started seing white smoke coming through the hood and exhaust. so i immediately stopped in a parking lot and turned off the car fearing the worst. i got the car towed to the house last night. i never attempted to start the car until i got to the mechanics house and then the car would not start. i know i shouldn't have even tried to start the car but at the time there was not enough muscles to push the car on the drive way. so the question is, do you guys think that it is a blown head gasket? any information will be appreciated.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
I think, definitely yes. Although... Have you checked your coolant level? Because it's strange that white smoke is even coming from engine bay ;) So it could be that some coolent line poped, but I doubt it

grnmk3

May 31, 2007
San Diego
I should have checked for that but I didn't get the chance to. My car is now at the mechanics house and hopefully he's honest enough to tell if it is a bhg or not.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Is it the original head gasket? If so, you're probably overdue. Hopefully there's no other damage.

It's just part of the deal. At least you'll be able to replace the stocker w/ something that's more durable.

Word to the wise: spend the extra $100 or so and put ARP headbolts. I use the stud kit and no problems.

grnmk3

May 31, 2007
San Diego
I believe it is the original head gasket. I bought the car with 80k miles almost 3 years ago and now im at 110k so I guess it's fair to say that I am due for it. I'm having the mechanic replace the hg with an hks 1.2mm, arp stud kit and misc. gaskets and seals. Hopefully that is the only thing wrong with my car.

grnmk3

May 31, 2007
San Diego
I just spoke to the mechanic and he said that the #6 spark plug has some oil. Hopefully it's nothing and oil just leaked from the valve cover or as the bhg happened. Got any say guys? Thanks.

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
If you blow a coolant line to the turbo or the line to the back of the head and it sprays coolant on that hot exhaust housing it will spew some serious white smoke/steam..also have you/he drained the oil and look at it? that will tell you alot right there, also a leakdown/pressure test?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
You should wait until the head and block have been resurfaced before you get decide on a head gasket. To keep the stock compression ratio, you need to add how much you took off the head to how much you took off the block to the original 1.37mm head gasket. A 1.2mm head gasket with everything else the same will increase compression by a decent bit.