Does the Tanabe Touring Exhaust work with GE / NA cars?

osama1234

Noob
Jun 30, 2007
vancity
Hi all,

I like the way the Tanabe Medallion Touring sounds, however based on having a look at the manufacturer's site (LINK), I'm getting the impression it is only for GTE and not GE cars. I drive a 86.5 7M GE. I can't imagine why they would put the note "Turbo" besides it, unless its for turbo only. Has anybody gotten to work with a 7M GE, or is the location of the cat or size of exhaust different between the GE and GTE the issue?

Thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Cat lengths are different. How ever the piping is 3in. Little too big for the ge. You could run it if you wanted tho. It also does dip down to like 2.65in right before the muffler.

osama1234

Noob
Jun 30, 2007
vancity
Thank you for the responses.

So from the sounds of it, its not a straight forward bolt-it-on type job. It would require someone to make pretty much the entire piping? I.e. pretty much make the entire frikking thing except use their resonator?

God damn it, why do the turbos get to have all the fun.

Edit: Might as well ask the stupid questions, not like I have claimed to be anything but a noob.

Can't I simply put in a 'high-flow' cat or 7M-GTE cat and presto, problem solved? (aside from being louder like IJ said). God damn it, i want a quiet but awesome sounding exhaust.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Well you could just run it.. You might just have a little less power.

Iirc it has 2 or 3 mufflers. So in order to get somewhat of the same sound you would need all of them and just use reducers from 3in to like 2.5.

Or you could just go turbo.

osama1234

Noob
Jun 30, 2007
vancity
Thank you so much. I'll get on it, hopefully also post a video of the resulting noise. Hopefully its not an annoying drone, i like the quiet but loud sound. In the name of science !

Thanks again for your insight, as you can see, i'm clueless.