Do you believe the Supra (MK3) will become a collectors car over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
So you wouldn't buy this for a daily Ian?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

WestOz

Jan 13, 2009
West Australia
Mixed responses from the mostly US owner's on here.... here in Oz I believe they will be collector's cars due to low numbers, they practically are already but don't have the resale value to match at this point in time (even the turbo A - one fairly good example was for sale here @ AU$15k).

As for the turbo A, that definitely has collector status already imho, and will appreciate considerably over time.

WestOz

Jan 13, 2009
West Australia
wiseco7mgt;1227031 said:
I'm not holding my breath!

Damn wish I had one... if it ever came into my stables it would NOT be up for sale! Bear in mind, the turbo A was at one stage, the fastest thing on 4 wheels to come outta Japan. No doubt you "A" owners would be well aware of that :icon_bigg.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
The following is my opinion and was written without any research done:

The Supra has a few marks against it. First, it doesn't have the pristige of being a 'legendary' car, like most fabled 'pony cars', ect. It's not old enough yet to really be considered collectable and it didn't do anything really "great" for motor sports. Come to think of it, neither has Toyota. Don't get me wrong, but I don't really recall any great achievements Toyota has done in motorsports.

Ferrari? They always win F1. Mazda made the 787B, which dominated Lemans once and caused them to ban rotarys. Audi made the Quattro which crushed rally for several years until other automakers could compete. Ford made the GT40 which raped everyone at Lemans for a few seasons... the list goes on for motor sport achievements... but I'd have to try to find one for Toyota. I honestly don't know of any great achievements Toyota's made off the top of my head. Winning a couple of races isn't setting a milestone, changing the way races are won is, imho.

Thusly, I present that Toyota has a lack of pristige about its name.

The lack of pristige around Toyota, to it's detriment, causes it to be snubbed when considered as a 'classic' car maker: someone says Jag and people go "oooo" "ahhhh". But, any decent enthusiest knows they have a bad habit of falling apart at inopprotune moments. Mercades? Same thing. All Top Gear does is harp on how poorly built Benz's are... stereotypes exist for a reason: they're generally true. Pony cars are written into history by some truely great hollywood movies, and they'll remain there for a long, long time: coveted. Were they actually great cars? Not really... hardly spectacular compared to cars today in terms of performance, even modified to the teeth.

People say Jaguar and they think luxury. People say Ferrari and they think fast, lamborgini: glamour and status. Porsche: Status and fast. Ford Mustang: classic and iconic. Land Rover: Goes over anything anywhere. Land Cruiser: isn't it Land Rover?

People say Toyota and they think reliable family car. You don't get a collectable car from a name that implies reliable family car.

My point is that you cannot engineer passion into a car. What makes a collectable car is not a quatifiable, measurable element hidden somewhere on the chassis. It's the subjective 'spirit' that the car has, something great that it did. Most of the truely classic cars that are cemented icons in society changed the way that automobiles are designed, manufactured, driven, or raced.

Being a great car is not enough.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
yeah i totally agree, toyota has been more about making big bucks by selling reliable well made vehicles and has been successful in doing so.They have built a reputation on quality and that's what keeps people coming back for more.
In the racing field i'm pretty sure the 4wd celicas were competitive and won quite a few rally events, but the supra didn't get the big backing from toyota which is a shame as it would have done well with a good racing team.
I still think give the supra time and just wait and see where peoples tastes lean towards.Find a mint one and stick it in the back of your shed and buy another to play with.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nick M;1227095 said:
I don't think your car is a turd.

Thanks Nick but I'm a realist and it is ;)
(If I spent a bunch of time and $ on the interior and body work that would help some but it's so far from stock and has had so many "revisions" over the years that it's barely worth anything other than as parts)

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
As i said above i think the MK2 and MK3 may go the way of the 240Z being a cult classis among its enthusiasts.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Judging by what Japanese classics go for, id say if you had one in tip top shape it might be worth quite a bit some day.

Heres some examples:

http://j-specimports.ca/index.php?page=list/index.php?ID=13310

http://j-specimports.ca/index.php?page=list/index.php?ID=13195

http://j-specimports.ca/index.php?page=list/index.php?ID=12609

http://j-specimports.ca/index.php?page=list/index.php?ID=12008

Old First Gen Toyota 4x4's are already turning into classics, and Landcruisers already have classic status. The Supra is a great looking car, ive had lots of people comment on mine and how much they wanted one when they were new, and many people asking what it is and amazed by the top coming off.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
The closest I say would have to be the Turbo A.

As far as the MKIII becoming a classic, it's no biggie, it'll always be a BEAST (7M ONLY!) in my heart. :love:

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
To answer this question, first you have to answer, what is a collectible car?

And...that is a vehicle that is original and represents more value in the long term.

I personally think that any vehicle, yes even an accel can become a collectible's item. It is based on the demand for the vehicle.

Keeping you car original and saving receipts, and always getting it serviced at the dealer helps a lot in keeping the value high.

I think there's already a lot of people collecting Supras, MKIII in this case, the question remains when will it become a more popular collector's car? I would say in about 10-20 years from now.

This is just my opinion...

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Supraholics;1227706 said:
Keeping you car original and saving receipts, and always getting it serviced at the dealer helps a lot in keeping the value high

Like Ian said.Pristine mint condition,yes Hacked up terds,no.
I saw a chevette sell for $22,000 at Auburn 4 years ago,but the car was all original,all dealer serviced,and flawless.Granted,it was a POS chevette,but somebody found it to have some sort of collectible value.Bottom line is wait and see.And if you want yours ever to be collectible keep it as stock as possible,slow or not(threw that in there for you guys that knock a supra for being na)Maintain it very well,and don't go putting a ton of miles on it.IMO an all stock supra turbo or na is worth far more than one with any mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.