Do I need another block???

Princesupratn

May 16, 2009
Memhips
:3d_frown:Check this out guys and tell me if i need a to just get another block. I had a small accident after i got my block decked. I went ahead with the build hoping that it wouldnt mess up anything everything was cool with 7psi then i went to 13.5 and thats when i got the bhg milk and smoke I'm going to try and post a link too my photobucket tell me what you guys think i hope I do this right my first time doing a link.
http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/princesupratn/Our%20cars/

Last edited:

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
If you mean what looks to be a chunk of the casting missing around the first stud on the intake side,
Yup, that block is pretty much history.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
p1459162_1.jpg

p1459162_2.jpg

p1459162_3.jpg

check out that chunk!! looks bad man, get a new block

Princesupratn

May 16, 2009
Memhips
IJ.;1459416 said:
How did that happen?

:3d_frown: I had just had it decked and put all my internals back in it was i wanted to take it off the engine hoist and put the studs and all of that other good stuff in it I screwed too stock head bolts into the block so i could get the chain in it too left it up and move it. I thought i screwed them in there pretty good i jacked it up and moved it to the shead where my car was then I was called away for something I left it still jacked up and came back in about ten minutes just to see the block laying on the floor with a chuck messing in the front and the back. :3d_frown: I still went ahead with the build I had my fingers crossed the whole time it was cool for 7psi 13.5 did it too me sucks too be me. I have two na bocks laying around you guys think i should switch the internals and have that blocked decked i doubt i find a turbo block down here for a cheap price.

Last edited:

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
i thought the blocks were the same themselves, you just had to get the turbo pistons and rods and stuff?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
No internal threaded holes for oil squirters,
and I think a lack of holes for feeding oil to the turbo ?

Forget it, find a turbo block.
While you are at it, find the later block with stronger main webs.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The na block doesn't have the turbo feed and drain line, but you can remedy that.

Get the oil pan drilled and get a nipple welded on for the oil return (drain) and there's a neat little plug just forward of the oil filter on the block that you can use for an oil feed line. It's not as easy as getting a turbo block though...

The squirters aren't swappable.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Perfect example of why I bag people that lift engines this way..... :nono:

Even if it doesn't tear off a section like the OP's engine it's putting some freaky loads into the deck and these engines are hard enough to make seal 100% without doing this.

The NA block can be used but as the guys have said you have a bit of dripping/tapping to do (don't forget the 2nd knock sensor hole) and you'll lose the squirters.

Good luck finding a useable GTE block they're starting to get thin on the ground as most of them have been in the hands of the intelligencia and will be in varying states of trashed... :nono:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IJ.;1459645 said:
Good luck finding a useable GTE block they're starting to get thin on the ground as most of them have been in the hands of the intelligencia and will be in varying states of trashed... :nono:

This is exactly what worries me for my upcoming gte swap. Where-o-where do I go about finding a used gte block that I can BE SURE has not suffered damage a rebuild will fail to remedy.

I'd love to drop 5 grand on a brand new head and block, but that isn't in the cards this << 23 year old...

karltritr6

Oct 19, 2008
louisiana
A good machine shop can weld that up easy and drill/tap for the stud. You'll have to pull the motor though and disassemble it. I've had much worse blocks repaired before.