do I HAVE A BHG?

mista_sup

Nov 13, 2006
atlanta
i am getting heavy water fall when i start up in the morning, however i have been noticing that when i stop or turn the car off the over flow bottle is full and there is a sign of coolant on the intercooler. could it be a bhg?

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
do a block test. rent the kit from autozone. i also hear a waterfall but i dont think i have a bhg, normally there is a performance loss and a loss of coolant. you said its in the intercooler?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mista_sup;1472202 said:
i am getting heavy water fall when i start up in the morning, however i have been noticing that when i stop or turn the car off the over flow bottle is full and there is a sign of coolant on the intercooler. could it be a bhg?

Boosted516;1472220 said:
you said its in the intercooler?

First thing to do would be to properly purge the air from your cooling system, as that's what causes that waterfall sound. Jack the front up as high as you can (or park on a steep hill and block the tires!), pull the cap off the radiator (don't burn yourself), and rev the motor to about 2k rpm with the heat of full blast (hot and fan). It will also help if you massage the coolant pipes to coerce the air to the front of the system, and essentially, out.

Do that, top off your coolant, and get back to us. Shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes total. Also, make sure your heater valve is opening properly, and fully.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
My car had a mild BHG and would make waterfall noises and the overflow would get full/spit coolant after a drive, but never showed a problem on the block tester. Did a leakdown and watched the radiator level rise as i pumped air into 5 and 6... You probably have a BHG, but a leakdown tester will prove if thats right or not

mista_sup

Nov 13, 2006
atlanta
when i say on the intercooler i mean it looks like it overflows from the overflow bottle and spits down onto the intercooler, but it does not bobble or anything like that. cool i will do it tomorrow and get back to you guys. thanks

shaeff;1472229 said:
First thing to do would be to properly purge the air from your cooling system, as that's what causes that waterfall sound. Jack the front up as high as you can (or park on a steep hill and block the tires!), pull the cap off the radiator (don't burn yourself), and rev the motor to about 2k rpm with the heat of full blast (hot and fan). It will also help if you massage the coolant pipes to coerce the air to the front of the system, and essentially, out.

Do that, top off your coolant, and get back to us. Shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes total. Also, make sure your heater valve is opening properly, and fully.

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
shaeff;1472229 said:

i tried that once it didnt seemt to work. i also was going to buy a new rad cap from autozone and didnt because it said 13psi....i was unsure if our systems were 15 or 13?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I know my rad cap says Toyota on it and 13psi.

As for the waterfalls, as said before it's caused by air being in the system. Burp the system properly and check for leaks. Even if you have a tiny leak it will still let air in the system while heating up/cooling. Go over all your hoses while your do the burp, see if you can see any coolant anywhere and find where it's coming from.

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
you have 7m its manditory for it to blow :p ... that aside maybe rent/buy a BHG test they are cheap enough and very handy to let you know for sure.

i wouldnt really drive it much if you suspect it. believe me it can cost you.

hope this helps

shima

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
-Make sure you have no external leaks
-Make sure the rad cap is holding within the pressure range listed in the TSRM
-Is the radiator 100% full/fluid touching the bottom of the cap when the car has completely cooled overnight?
-Block checker will be a waste of time/money unless it's a catastrophic BHG, a leak down tester will probably be more definitive.
-I of course respect shaeff's opinion, but you should never have to burp a cooling system like the one we have, when sealed properly it will evacuate all the air on its own just fine after 1-2 heat cycles. If you have to burp it there is another issue, if after burping you notice EVEN MORE coolant being purged from the surge tank than pre-burp then a BHG is fairly definite if the cap is working properly.

You need to look for mechanical details, in all likelihood the stock instrumentation will not show a damn thing is out of line until its WAY too late.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
89supra7mgte;1472746 said:
What does the oil look like? what about under the oil cap?

You should add what about under the oil cap after a drive where the engine's been at operating temp for a good 10 - 15 minutes. Everyone will get the milky looking junk under their oil caps on short drives from condensation evaporating from the crank case.