Do i give up, or continue onwards?

What should i do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
jetjock;1942894 said:
Uh, it's a car. Cut your losses and move on.

I agree. Let it go. Sometime later in life, if you've got the funds and want to do a MA70 restoration, there will still be good examples out there.

Or maybe something else will catch your eye between now and then.

Parting it out is probably the most financially advantageous route, although it's going to take more effort than just selling it.

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
When I go to car meets I can always tell which of the cars in the lot have real, true human spirit/character put into them. I can always spot the ones that were just fed money, and the ones that were neglected. I believe my car is my avatar, a mechanical version of me. I take absolute pride in what i do no matter what other people say think. She is me and I am her, we are one and I love her. If I she ever got smashed into I would actually cry for once in my life.

Just ask yourself if you love her...and if you would do anything for her. Imagine how sad she would be if you dismantled her and sold her off like an object.

But if you haven't shared your life force and spirit with the machine then just part it out. simple.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Lol, could be. The older the car gets the younger owners become, something that's been obvious here for several years. However, even though I understand what powerful symbols of freedom cars can represent to youngsters, anthropomorphism and being overly attached to inanimate objects just ain't healthy.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
mikejza70;1943432 said:
When I go to car meets I can always tell which of the cars in the lot have real, true human spirit/character put into them. I can always spot the ones that were just fed money, and the ones that were neglected. I believe my car is my avatar, a mechanical version of me. I take absolute pride in what i do no matter what other people say think. She is me and I am her, we are one and I love her. If I she ever got smashed into I would actually cry for once in my life.

Just ask yourself if you love her...and if you would do anything for her. Imagine how sad she would be if you dismantled her and sold her off like an object.

But if you haven't shared your life force and spirit with the machine then just part it out. simple.

What. The. Fuck...

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Well...i've come to a decision. I'm not going to work on it anytime soon, but i will be putting some parts aside, as and when - i'm not going into debt or anything stupid. I'm keeping it. There are a few reasons why i've come to the conclusion i have.

To walk away and part it out now, would also require somewhere to store the car, off road, while i'm stripping it. There's no emotional attachment involved either, just that i've fought for too long and too hard to just toss all my work, and money, into the toilet. I realise you never get out what you put in, money wise, but over here - the market is limited. If i were in the US, i'd have taken the option to part it out - seeing as a Mk3 is actually available in appreciable numbers, and don't seem to have rotted away quite as badly.

Yes, i could walk away, but as the years roll on, there's less and less likelyhood of me being able to pick up a Mk3 Supra in the UK, especially not a manual turbo - they're becoming way, way too thin on the ground here. You get either non-runners, N/A's that have been abused, turbo auto's with the transmission on the way out and they're all rotting away around the rear arches, thanks to the climate & road salt used here. The shell of mine, whilst its in need of welding, is a known quantity, i know it *can* be fixed. The mechanicals are in good condition, overall. Suspension is brand new, Engine just went through the top end rebuild (yes, i know nothing special, but i'm happy with how its all come out so far) - it runs. It drives. The diff is good, the electricals are all sorted (brand new wiring).

So...my plan is to store it, for the moment on the driveway, under a cover. Work on it bit by bit, i get to take my time and spend money sparingly, and only when i need to. It's not a daily driver, it never will be, either, at our fuel prices. It's a weekend toy.

As far as hobbies go, i don't really have any that involve spending money. Gaming? Doesn't cost me anything. Cooking? Well....i have to eat anyway, so it doesn't really 'cost' anything. I don't smoke, i rarely drink, i have almost no vices. This car is my hobby, and right now, i *need* something to do that gets me at least partially active. I may not be able to walk well right now, but i think i can manage sitting at a workbench, fixing something.

I do appreciate all the feedback and comments i've recieved so far, and did take my time in coming to a decision. If i decide in the future that i gain no enjoyment from it, then it's as good as gone.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I'm glad you decided to keep it, Im also glad you decided to take a step back for a min. I'm always glad when a long time member decides to keep the car that made our community happen in the first place.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
jetjock;1943435 said:
Good grief...

IJ.;1943436 said:
Maybe he's 12 years old? :nono:

jetjock;1943437 said:
Lol, could be. The older the car gets the younger owners become, something that's been obvious here for several years. However, even though I understand what powerful symbols of freedom cars can represent to youngsters, anthropomorphism and being overly attached to inanimate objects just ain't healthy.

Although I agree I can not deny my is a big part of who I am or at least it's a big part of what I do in my life. Car/work/sleep/eat/poo is how I live nothing much more right now.

suprra_girl;1942827 said:
Well, for a while I was in the same boat and I ended up making a list if things to do. I started at the top of the list and kept going one by one thru the list and got to the day of startup :D I adore my car and glad I got it done and anyway, I got a dash that's needing to head your way so don't waste the plane ride its going on :p :)
Sent from my 7 Trophy using Board Express
I totally feel the same way. Ya my 7mgte Toyota Supra Gt35r Turbo needs a standalone computer wired and tuned if anybody in the pacific northwest knew how to tune something else, I would not be in this situation, but I am sticking my nose to the grind and spend 4 years working on my 1987 7MGTE supra the whole time and now I graduated with a Bachelors degree and hopefully I can make my supra my daily driver. STICK WITH IT! FOREVER. if you cant afford it, make a greater life investment and make something of yourself.