Do All 7MGTE's have a factory boost gauge?

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
I am just curious. I got my car with a 7mgte, R154 in it, but now I have a 1jz swap. I was wondering, because my gauge cluster doesn't have a factory boost gauge on it, but it has the factory boost sensor to operate the gauge in the dash? Do I have an NA cluster in my car, possibly my car used to be an NA, but it does have the Targa, and TEMS options to it? My car has a history of theft and accidents so maybe that has something to do with it? Anyone have any idea whats up?

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Sounds like someone possibly stole the gauge cluster before you got it. Or the previous owner wanted the odometer to have lower mileage? :dunno:

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
yah man, I thought something sounds screwy because, every one talks about how they have a factory boost gauge? I don't need it for monitoring, but I am just curious what happened to my car?

ma7089

May 25, 2007
santa barbara, CA
is there no gauge?
or the voltmeter gauge like in the NA?

could be it was NA had a 7mgte swap. under the hood does it have the NA egr system or turbo?

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
The cluster has a voltmeter, where the boost gauge should be. The strange thing is that the car has TEMS,LSD,Targa,r154,7mgte, and had a turbo harness with the sensor for the boost gauge but did not have a factory boost gauge. I am thinking that someone swapped in an NA cluster for whatever reason.

P.S. It even says R154 on the metal tag in the engine bay

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Sounds like someone put in a voltmeter, it's not uncommon at all. In fact I'd go as far as to say it is common to see. The car is 20 years old, and lots of stuff has happened in the last 20 years.

CampbellsChunkySoupra

best be eating your soup!
Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
cant u run the vin on carfax and it will pull up whether or not its a GTE or GE?

i know u dont have to pay for it either. sometimes u just pop the vin in and it will give u a quick semi-general response as to what car matches the vin that u typed in. that might help

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
CampbellsChunkySoupra said:
cant u run the vin on carfax and it will pull up whether or not its a GTE or GE?

i know u dont have to pay for it either. sometimes u just pop the vin in and it will give u a quick semi-general response as to what car matches the vin that u typed in. that might help

What drjonez said. Also, refer to this: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47729

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
HOLD ON! so the GE gauge is plug and play with the GTE? or would you have to take it apart and swap in just th volt meter.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
Yah I checked by the vin, and it is a 7mgte from the factory with the MA71 Vin.
That makes sense, because it had the boost sensor for the gauge. Oh well, I guess it is kind of nice to have the volt meter because I am running an aftermarket boost gauge anyways.

palmerawesome

Nov 10, 2006
Florida
When I bought mine (gte), it didn't have a boost guage. The guy told me he replaced the guage cluster and that he remebers how many miles the car had (scouts honor).:icon_conf