DIY: Tail Lamp Failure Sensor Bypass GET YOUR TAIL AND/OR BRAKE LIGHTS BACK!

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
That was the problem Thanks man!!!!
My third brake light is hacked off so it caused a short... Thanks!!!

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
87soup;1181282 said:
p1203970_1.jpg

Is this wrong????
My dash/ parking lights dont work any more and i keep popping my 15amp gauge fuse...
Also STILL NO TAIL LIGHTS!!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!!

You shorted things out because you have exposed wires, because you didnt follow my directions. I said to use wire tap in squeze connectors. The two unused wires: one goes to the failure light on the dash and i belive the other one is a power source for the box. You probably lost everything because the wire are touching the chasis. The DIY I listed did not require you to cut any wires. I will try to get a pic to clarify this.

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
i had the same problem with my Lamp Failure Box, this is what i did to fix it.

open the hatch
unplug the Lamp Failure Box
open the box
look connectors for corrosion
look at the green board for corrosion

now take a soft wire brush and scrub the corrosion on the green board
then take some connector cleaner clean let it eat the corrosion on the male part of the plug, blow it dry.
then put some new solder on the board where the corrosion was.
put it all back together and it worked! haven't had a problem since then.

Supra_Shopper

Fabricating
May 18, 2006
Florida
www.fquick.com
Original info is correct. I would recommend striping insulation, soldering, and using heat shrink to ensure a good durable connection. To do so w/o cutting the wire(s), strip about 1/2~3/4" of the insulation off, fold the wire over in the middle of the stripped part, and then wrap the other wire(s) around it. Solder, and apply heat shrink. Secure with zip ties so it can't rub against the body. Sloppy work here will come back to bite you in the tail lights.

Please refer to the attached picture from the service manual. You should have 8 wires at the sensor:
G= Tail light power from dash (connects to G/R wire
G/R= Output from sensor to tail lights
G/W= Brake light power from switch at pedal
R/L= Brake light output from sensor to lamps (2)
R/W= Brake light output from sensor to high mount brake light (spoiler)
Y= Power in
V= To dash indicator
W/B= Ground

Color codes:
B= Black
G= Green
L= Blue
R= Red
V= Violet
W= White
Y= Yellow

Color/Color= Main wire color/stripe

Attachments

• D_020.gif
    D_020.gif
    60.6 KB · Views: 113

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
I did the rewire, but lost the passenger side of my tail lights completely.. no brake lights, no tail lights( hazard and turn signal work).. But the whole driver side works perfect...what can i have done wrong ?

Supra_Shopper

Fabricating
May 18, 2006
Florida
www.fquick.com
Supra-Man18;1226289 said:
I did the rewire, but lost the passenger side of my tail lights completely.. no brake lights, no tail lights (hazard and turn signal work).. But the whole driver side works perfect...what can I have done wrong ?

Semi-stupid question, but are you sure they all worked before this was done? The wiring modification does not affect anything side-to side, i.e. if one side works they both should. I would inspect the passenger side lamp sockets for power and trace wiring from there if needed. Is the module unplugged? Double check the wire colors- if you connected to the wrong one, this may be a problem.

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
Supra_Shopper;1226309 said:
Semi-stupid question, but are you sure they all worked before this was done? The wiring modification does not affect anything side-to side, i.e. if one side works they both should. I would inspect the passenger side lamp sockets for power and trace wiring from there if needed. Is the module unplugged? Double check the wire colors- if you connected to the wrong one, this may be a problem.

Yeah im positive they worked... And the driver side works perfect so why would one side jus stop... I even put new bulbs in !

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
Ok Guys The passenger side isnt getting any Power But But its getting all the grounds.. Any one recommend a fix for this ?

Last edited:

90turbo

Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Missouri
My dash warning light is always on... I have cleaned the failure box in the past and this does not help. I may remove the box as indicated in previous posts, but I wanted to make sure the problem I am having is the same. The tail lights work fine, but when you step on the brakes one of the lights goes out completely. Not the whole side, just one of the two bulbs on a side. Is there a short?

boosted2085

I was spoolin :(
Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
when i turn on my car w/o the lights on the tail lights always come on and my brake lights dont come on when pedal is pressed ,also that dash light comes on.will this mod only bypass the light on the dash from coming on or actually make the tails and brakes lights function correctly?

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I have searched and found many threads about this topic, but none really describe what my tail lights are doing. First off when the car is off and I hit the brakes they work fine. As soon as I turn on the car and hit the brakes they stay on and the failure light on the dash turns on. Only the middle light seems to work properly. Its not the pedal because they will turn off when I shut the car off. I checked the switch and its fine.

I took the TLFS out and it looks good. No corrosion or broken solder points. I am going to try this mod to see if it fixes my issue. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Sounds like a short between the parking light power lead and the brake light lead. Dunno if it's in your TLFS or in the wire.