Distance advice

Jarvis

May 14, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
OK guys, got a quick question. I've only used my '91 Turbo so far just driving around town on nice days. But today I'm heading to the beach, and it's 4 hours away. She runs like a top, but would y'all suggest a 4 hour trip in her? Just looking to see how y'all feel about that... Thanks!

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
If any of us knew the car, then we would be able to help you answer this. If the car is not having any issues then what is the problem? I had my old blue Supra for 2 weeks before I shipped it from Germany to US. Then I drove it from St Louis down to Clarksville TN.....a few days later turned around and drove it 7 hours up to Detroit and back. I didn't know my car for crap at the time. I just to hell with it...... if it break down then I tow it home.

If you are going to sit there and worry about driving the car anywhere other then to the mall to park with some other cars, then sell it and get a bike. Quote from Fast and the Furious here...

"It's not how you stand by your car, it's how you drive your car" So stop standing by it and drive the damn thing.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
If your car is in good shape, go for it! Supras are very at home on long open roads: comfortable, powerful, and comfy seats.

I've taken multiple 2,000+ mile roadtrips in my Supras. Including one from MN to AZ and back, and another from San Diego to MN.

Jarvis

May 14, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
91Supra313;1940935 said:
If you are going to sit there and worry about driving the car anywhere other then to the mall to park with some other cars, then sell it and get a bike. Quote from Fast and the Furious here...

"It's not how you stand by your car, it's how you drive your car" So stop standing by it and drive the damn thing.

Man, that's excellent advice!

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
My 87 took me back and forth from NC to MO more times than I can remember with a BHG and she never left me stranded
My 91 just had to 1JZ swapped in and I took it on a test drive from MD to GA that day
If your worried about driving it any real distance than why own it?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Silver MK3;1940941 said:
If it runs good then it shouldn't be a problem. You could put an extra bottle of oil in the hatch or so, just in case.

Don't forget coolant! Hose clamps, tools.

Last edited:

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I've taken mine on many 8+ hour road trips and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Basically if it lasts 30 minutes in stop and go traffic without issues there shouldn't be an issue on the open freeway.

Like always in a 20+ year old car carry a basic tool set, a couple quarts of oil, and a jug of coolant.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Jarvis;1940934 said:
OK guys, got a quick question. I've only used my '91 Turbo so far just driving around town on nice days. But today I'm heading to the beach, and it's 4 hours away. She runs like a top, but would y'all suggest a 4 hour trip in her? Just looking to see how y'all feel about that... Thanks!

Huh? I do 10 hour drives in my car at 90'ish MPH (yeah.. too fast.. but the cruise is set... and away I go). The car wasn't built to sit on blocks... so I don't understand the question. If you DD your car without any issues, you should be fine driving cross-country. Its actually probably easier on the car because your holding cruise.. not pushing.

Not quite sure why you would fear that. Our MK3's are not going to be worth 100,000.00 some day (maybe in 100 years.. if you can make it last that long) and if you aint using it, your showing it. If you just keep it hidden in the garage.. sell it.

I love the car because it can run with the new cars and not feel like a junker. In fact it can outrun the new cars. It was built to cruise... so go forth and cruise. If it can't handle 4 hours... it has major issues.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
mkiii222;1940975 said:
I've taken mine on many 8+ hour road trips and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Basically if it lasts 30 minutes in stop and go traffic without issues there shouldn't be an issue on the open freeway.

Like always in a 20+ year old car carry a basic tool set, a couple quarts of oil, and a jug of coolant.
That settles it, its coming back to Indiana in June.
-AM3

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
If I get my no spark issue resolved and my car tuned ill be heading down to import alliance down in Kentucky. Its going to be a long trip with out cruise control and A/C