Disassembling door mirrors?

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Backstory: A few years ago, while my car was on jackstands at my Uncle's, wasps made a hive inside my driver's side mirror. I ended up killing 'em all off with some wasp spray and soaked the shit out of the hive with it by spraying most of the can inside. Since then, i've wanted to find a way to get that hive out of there so that there's no chance of more wasps moving in. So I pose this question, since it's not in the TSRM and didn't show up in a search -- is there any way to disassemble the mirrors so I can do this? Or am I just going to have to suck it up and/or replace the mirrors completely? I know it's possible to disassemble some aftermarket mirrors (like Street Scenes), so I'm curious...

Thanks,

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
They come apart. Ive taken a pre89 one completely apart before.

Just start with the screw on the bottom and it almost all comes out. Iirc.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
It is really easy to get them apart. Take out that triangle panel on the inside of your door, unscrew 3 screws, unplug wire, take mirror assembly off.
Then after it is off, unscrew the screw underneath, and the three on the bracket that supports the mirror, and it should come out with a little wiggling.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
ForcedTorque;1838030 said:
Just take your thumb and tilt your mirror, so that the side of the hive is more accessible. Stick a screwdriver and knock it out.
Watch a thousand wasps come out, lol.
-AM3

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
It was like that when I first found out about it -- started running water through the mirror, spraying the shit out of the wasps.....and they just...wouldn't...go...away! So next day I came back with the uber-wasp spray and went to town....lol. I'd still be paranoid about dead ones being in the hive though.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
LOL... MKIII mirrors are a preferred property/environment for wasps. You are affecting the entire eco-system ;-)

I recently replaced my mirrors and had to disassemble/change guts/repaint... Out of 6 mirrors, only 1 of them did not have the honeycombs.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
As mentioned, 3 screws holding it to the door, and 1 under the housing for the bracket.

If anyones interested in disassembling the Euro folding mirros, you pop off the glass with a screwdriver (sounds scary I know).