Dimensions for making 89+ solid motor mounts

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ok folks, anyone who has access to a lathe / drill press combo can make these for themselves, they are damn simple.

The ones I made for my car were 2.75 inches in diameter, with a 0.625 inch hole in the center, and 2.875 inches long. They work very well.

I've seen the ones from Maxx, and theirs are about 2 inches in diameter - guesstimate, I haven't actually measured them. I've never seen the ones from anywhere else up close in person.

When I installed these, I just picked up high grade bolts & nuts from a local bolt supply place, and installed them like so:

Bolt
Washer
Part that bolts to the block
Aluminum cylinder that I made
Frame
Washer
Lockwasher
Nut

PS: I picked up bolts that were the same size as the bottom bolt on the stock mounts, this meant I had to drill out the hole on the portion that mounts to the block by a very small amount. Not a big deal at all, I've done this twice now, and it's been easy in both cases. Might be a bit of problem if you don't have access to a vice on a drill press, holding onto these with vice grips while drilling through them with a hand drill would be difficult. ;)

TSURU

Mar 15, 2006
Fremont, Ca.
now 2.875 is the length of them, if i were to shorten the length would that make the engine sit a little lower? just curious?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
kinda a noob question, but what is the advantage of the solid motor mounts? Ya never find out 'less ya ask.

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
hold high HP with out breaking the rubber that holds 2 peices of metal together forming the OEM mount. Solid = rougher vibrations but holds the HP TQ

I'm all for Solid

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Square Rubber mounts here and not a hint of them breaking.

Don't like solids never have doubly so in a cruiser like a Mk3!
(your fillings fall out at 1000 km's into a 1800 km trip ;) )

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
So does anybody know what has to be changed to make them fit the pre-89 subframe?

I suppose I can take mine out and measure them to make my own, just curious if anybody knows already...