Differiential differences?

DETONATION666

DECEPTICON MK3
Oct 29, 2006
Bethpage, New York, United States
I need help determining what LSD is in my 89 NA I think its a sport but im not totally sure is there any way to tell through the VIN? if it was a sport it would be a 430 "for my year" if I remeber correctly but I cant seem to find the threads with indentification information maybe someone can point me the right way ive been searching for a while.

Another thing I wasnt sure about is whether or not they are the same on the outside "430 and the 373"?
that way if I had a 1pc driveshaft made up for the rear I have in the car I could maybee just take out the na rear if I dont like it and put a 373 in it? I know they mount up the same but are the axles different?

I know Im a moron but I cant seem to find a thread that answers my questions

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
im pretty sure all the axles and driveshaft flanges are the same. Ive posted more than twice about how to find out what the diff is according to the firewall but to be sure it hasnt been swapped youll have to get under the car and spin one wheel or side and see if the other one spins that direction also.

that of course is assuming the LSD sticker is also gone.

Ill try to go find a thread to help you out.

DETONATION666

DECEPTICON MK3
Oct 29, 2006
Bethpage, New York, United States
For some reason I dont have a plaque on my firewall I just never noticed. My 88T had one because I went through some old pics I had. Well when I have the chance to jack it up again ill figure it out if they both spin in the same direction.....hopefully lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
All interchangable

Torsens have different length stub axles but from the CV out to the hubs are the same.

Jack it up mark the driveshaft flange and a tire then turn the driveshaft flange and count the turns to 1 revolution of the wheel.