Differential whine. Backlash or wear problem?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
This is on my daily/beater '84 Mk2 Supra:

A few years ago, my pinion bearing started howling, so I cheaped out and bought a used diff. It had OK bearings, but made a lot of gear noise at all speeds. After 3 years I got tired of the noise and bought another used diff that seemed in better shape, but this one has a higher pitched "whhirrrr" gear noise at 45mph and above 60mph. The noise is mostly only during cruising, and is quiet under deceleration and at lower speeds. I know what bearing noise sounds like, having the pinion wear out on my original diff, and I'm sure this new diff noise is caused by the ring and pinion.

Does this mean the ring and pinion are worn on the leading edges from normal driving? Could this noise be eliminated by adjusting the backlash? I've read on another forum that adjusting the backlash on worn gears simply moves the noise to another speed.

What do I have to do to get a quiet diff? The bearings and LSD in this diff seem fine. Should I source a new ring and pinion? Are these parts available from Toyota? I wish I had kept and fixed my original diff because it never had any gear noise. I didn't expect the next two diffs to have such annoying gear howl.

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
with a used differential you never know what it's been through, you might get lucky and be able to get new 7.5 Ring & Pinions, im sure you can a lot of the older 2wd Tacoma's had 7.5 ring & Pinions, but they will not be cheap! look to spend anywhere near 500-700 bucks on a ring & pinion, with no bearings, if you can pull out that lsd again, and checked the bearings, i'm wondering if the carrier bearings are spun if the bearings are spun it will open up backlash, and cause gear noise. At that point your carrier case is bad and needs to be replaced and chances are the gear can be worn so it's noisy,best thing to do is check out that lsd, to see if the bearing is spun,

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
tekedus teh problem is teh crappy toyota crush sleav it will loose tention cause the back lash to go off

there is fix thou use the marline crawler soild spacer wiht this install ed it weill never loose it testion thus never looseing perset perload aka back lash

you chould get it done at all tranny shop for pretty cheep as long as you give them the diff to do ti for you or do it your self but you whould have to buy some speical tools for it

teh kazz diff far as i know of is not made for the mk2

if you feel liek spending some money put a ture track diff in and install the poin perload spacer

i did this to my kazz in my mk3 and it will take what ever i though at it

remmber teh 4x4 guys put more shock into there diffs then any high powered race car

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I just had my diff fully rebuilt, with all new bearings and it's not nearly as noisy as the 4.3 that was in there but it's annoying as hell still I want it near silent... Is this possible? Will getting a new crush sleeve fix this? I know there was some lock nut or something that was done to stop the thing from backing off but it's really due to preload?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Both of the diffs I have had in my mk3 make some hum at 75.

4.3 open (218k miles on it) My brother couldn't hear it, but he doesn't notice the little things..
3.9 LSD (130k miles) little bit less of a hum.