Differential check?

Sideways_bob

Banned
Jul 8, 2009
KY
Im a little new here i joined to search and stuff. Anyway i have a 1987 Toyota Supra non turbo 5 speed. it doesnt have the sports package and doesnt have a lsd.

my friend collects parts from these cars and has 3 different diffs for the mk3 supra. How would i tell which one is what? like what the gearing is and if its a lsd or not?

he said he doesnt have the vin number to the cars so he cant check like that.

If i take the differentials apart what do i look for? do i count the teeth?

sorry for my Language i have only spent about 2 years in america.

thanks!

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
When turning one of the outputs for the wheel, the other one moves into the same direction = lsd.
Turn the wheel output 1 full cirle and measure how many rotations does the driveshaft input do, this should give you the gearing.

(input-output, I forgot how those parts on the diff are called, I'm also not native :D )

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sideways_bob;1362139 said:
Im a little new here i joined to search and stuff. Anyway i have a 1987 Toyota Supra non turbo 5 speed. it doesnt have the sports package and doesnt have a lsd.

my friend collects parts from these cars and has 3 different diffs for the mk3 supra. How would i tell which one is what? like what the gearing is and if its a lsd or not?

he said he doesnt have the vin number to the cars so he cant check like that.

If i take the differentials apart what do i look for? do i count the teeth?

sorry for my Language i have only spent about 2 years in america.

thanks!

Yet you write better English than 90% of our members ;)

Welcome to SM

Sideways_bob

Banned
Jul 8, 2009
KY
ValgeKotkas;1362146 said:
When turning one of the outputs for the wheel, the other one moves into the same direction = lsd.
Turn the wheel output 1 full cirle and measure how many rotations does the driveshaft input do, this should give you the gearing.

(input-output, I forgot how those parts on the diff are called, I'm also not native :D )

ohkay thank you for the help i will write up later on what i find.