difference in powersteering between A70's

hockysa

Hey Guys,

It's my first time driving a 1JZ powered supra.
The Supra is a 1986.5 1JZ converted MA70

My father and I are having conflicting opinions about the powersteering being functional or not.

According to my dad he thinks it's working because it sounds like its working and you can see the fluid flowing in the reservoir and that the heavy nature of the steering wheel is just the way it is.

However I'm not so sure that it should be this heavy...

Does anyone know if the JZA70's were meant to feel heavier than the MA70's by alot?

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
hockysa;1377098 said:
Hey Guys,

It's my first time driving a 1JZ powered supra.
The Supra is a 1986.5 1JZ converted MA70

My father and I are having conflicting opinions about the powersteering being functional or not.

According to my dad he thinks it's working because it sounds like its working and you can see the fluid flowing in the reservoir and that the heavy nature of the steering wheel is just the way it is.

However I'm not so sure that it should be this heavy...

Does anyone know if the JZA70's were meant to feel heavier than the MA70's by alot?

Tires could be the issue with heavy steering, some tires just don't work well with the Supra. What tires do you have?

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
if it's heavy steering feeling, check your lower Ball joints!!! i had this problem and i thought it was my power steering!! My shit popped out while drive and busted my TT rims. My Steering loosen up ALOT! like night and day difference after new Lower Ball Joints installed.

hockysa

rayall01;1377197 said:
Tires could be the issue with heavy steering, some tires just don't work well with the Supra. What tires do you have?

17x9" all around

fonz87;1377236 said:
if it's heavy steering feeling, check your lower Ball joints!!! i had this problem and i thought it was my power steering!! My shit popped out while drive and busted my TT rims. My Steering loosen up ALOT! like night and day difference after new Lower Ball Joints installed.

Will do 1st thing in the morning

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
hockysa;1377249 said:
17x9" all around

No, I meant what brand and model. For example, some people feel the Continental extreme contact model makes steering hard and sluggish, on the MKIII.

Last edited:

D7MSupra

Ive Infracted
Apr 6, 2008
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I have 2 89 turbos in my family. My supra has really easy steering. On the other supra the steering is firm. We swopped a motor from a 90 turbo into that one. At first I thought maybe it was because the speedo cable wasnt hooked up. Fixed it and no dice. both cars have 18 inch falkens on them. This one has me puzzled. Same car but they drive completely diff from eachother. Both are 5 speeds with TEMS. Both are also lowered.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
hockysa;1377681 said:
I think i may have a car with PPS and my old car only had PS

I don't think it should feel so heavy at low speeds but is this normal?

Your PPS valve may be bad. Again, never heard of that brand of tire, and that could be the problem, or a combination of the two possibilities.

hockysa

nosechunks;1377719 said:
is the idle up valve on the power steering pump hooked up/functioning?

Where is that? and how can i test if its functioning?

rayall01;1377721 said:
Your PPS valve may be bad. Again, never heard of that brand of tire, and that could be the problem, or a combination of the two possibilities.

I'd say its a combination... it's pretty extreme difference for just tyres imo

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hockysa;1377736 said:
Where is that? and how can i test if its functioning?

I'd say its a combination... it's pretty extreme difference for just tyres imo

It only works at idle so I doubt that it's your issue.

Is the car a PPS car?

ie: is the PPS computer actually in the car?

Does it have the PPS pump?

Is the rack wired up and plugged in?

hockysa

IJ.;1377737 said:
It only works at idle so I doubt that it's your issue.

Is the car a PPS car?

ie: is the PPS computer actually in the car?

Does it have the PPS pump?

Is the rack wired up and plugged in?

The car is a 1986.5 MA70 nonturbo with a 1JZ conversion. Conversion was not done by me. So I'm unsure weather it was PPS before or after the conversion.

Where is the PPS computer located

how can i tell if its a PPS pump

how do i check that the rack is wired up and plugged in.

My assumption would be that the JZA70 halfcut that went in there was PPS and the steering rack and everything went into this current vehicle. So i'm leaning towards it not being PPS originally