Diesel Turbo on 7M-GTE?

McGyvr

Oct 15, 2008
Independence Mo
www.myspace.com
OK... First post so please be nice. lol

5 Months ago I gave $1200 for my 91' with a spun main. During the overhaul I replaced the crank, ported and polished the head, replaced every gasket and every seal, EXCEPT for the hardened rubber seal on my MAF. ***NOTE*** Chunks of 18 year old gasket + ANYTHING spinning at 100,000 rpm = BAD SOUNDS!! The outcome was bad news for the compressor wheel of my stock CT-26. (is this a bad time to point out that I was just laid off?)

While looking all over the greater Kansas City Metro area for a CT-26, I stumbled across a guy who has a bunch of turbos from diesels, including a Caterpillar C12 K-31 Turbo. Now the compressor housing points up, but I THINK I can rotate it and then at least the basics will be in the right place and I can fabricate plates from there to bolt it down...

I guess what I'm asking is... would putting a turbo built for a 11 ltr diesel onto a 3 ltr car be a Bad idea if I can get this thing (recently rebuilt) for $400?

(FYI; I clipped the remaining blades on the C-26 Compressor wheel to help re-balance and locked my wastegate open in hopes of preventing further damage to the bearings, but have no choice but to continue driving the car for now)

Thanks for any help, and feel free to call me a dumb-ass, just please tell me Why!

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
its a funny thing to think about, what are the specs of the eninge/vehicle it comes off of?? i never though about how much "air" a deisel uses, considering any large diesel engine doesnt really rev past 2500rpm

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
McGyvr;1234321 said:
(FYI; I clipped the remaining blades on the C-26 Compressor wheel to help re-balance and locked my wastegate open in hopes of preventing further damage to the bearings, but have no choice but to continue driving the car for now)

Do you have any idea how precise the balance needs to be with something spinning that fast?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Why not just drop the whole engine in there too. :naughty:

0422%20016.jpg

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
dumbo;1234426 said:
its a funny thing to think about, what are the specs of the eninge/vehicle it comes off of?? i never though about how much "air" a deisel uses, considering any large diesel engine doesnt really rev past 2500rpm

2500???? Please...majority of diesels can hit 4000rpm....atleast today engines can....but they also have huge strokes combined with force feeding...they move massive amounts of air!

Anyway I think this is a bad idea and you should get your ct-26 rebuilt...the classifieds always have a used ct-26 ruffly $200.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
no I meant LARGE diesel engines haha, see pics.

I know your right but judging on displacement only, RPM and VE,(i think diesels are better, but cant remember) you would figure they would flow less CFM. i know i'm missing somthing prolly in the fuel..

Attachments

• IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    563.7 KB · Views: 86

McGyvr

Oct 15, 2008
Independence Mo
www.myspace.com
Well Viper, yes and no. I am seriously considering this crazy stupid idea. I think I can get the hot side to bolt right too the manafold with a simple redrilling of 4 holes. My Downpipe I'm gona' have to come up with some hella' ideas, and the cold side would be a easy to hook up.

CYFI, Yes, I know how delicate it needs to be, which is why I locked open the wastegate, to prevent it from spinning up to 100k.

Pirate... Have you priced Diesel Fuel lately? lmao

Dumbo: It looks like the Turbo was mainly used in farm equipment and in most cases was pushing 450hp and about 25lbs of boost at 3000rpm.

Viper: Something tells me that your right in that it's a bad idea, but Why? It seems like it would spool up REAL fast at higher RPM and it has it's own wastegate (unlike a LOT of diesel turbos I looked at) so overboost shouldn't be a problem... I'm just thinking that if I've gota' replace my turbo anyway, why not go for bigger while I'm at it?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Diesel motors are very high compression high volume motors...that turbo is ment to feed a motor 4x the size of your motor...a diesel flows much more air threw that turbo than your motor could...if it did "work" then I imagine you not seeing positive boost till about 7000rpm with the help of No2...I could be wrong but I just don't think turbos made for diesels have the same geometry as gas engine turbos.

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
Gaboon is correct. Diesels flow a buttload more air than gas motors. Plus you need to look at VE same as dumbo said. A CT-26 flowing 13 psi would be like that turbo maybe maybe pushing 1psi. And also the fact that diesels have no throttle plate there for no blow off valves there boost is regulated by wastegate only. therefore you have a set psi rating and im sure quite positive actually, that your motor would pop if at all spool a massive turbo of sorts. Ask the resident turbo expert though....cant remember currently who it is its late im tired and worked blew total ass..

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
gaboonviper85;1234546 said:
Diesel motors are very high compression high volume motors...that turbo is ment to feed a motor 4x the size of your motor...a diesel flows much more air threw that turbo than your motor could...if it did "work" then I imagine you not seeing positive boost till about 7000rpm with the help of No2...I could be wrong but I just don't think turbos made for diesels have the same geometry as gas engine turbos.

bluedragon17;1234582 said:
Gaboon is correct. Diesels flow a buttload more air than gas motors. Plus you need to look at VE same as dumbo said. A CT-26 flowing 13 psi would be like that turbo maybe maybe pushing 1psi. And also the fact that diesels have no throttle plate there for no blow off valves there boost is regulated by wastegate only. therefore you have a set psi rating and im sure quite positive actually, that your motor would pop if at all spool a massive turbo of sorts. Ask the resident turbo expert though....cant remember currently who it is its late im tired and worked blew total ass..

Where do you guys think us guys running big turbos got the idea from?

Seriously people have been running the holsets off of cummins on smaller engines for a long time.

A guy here in my town has a 2.3 ford block with a 2.3 volvo head running a holset off a diesel and sees boost at 2500rpms.

McGyvr

Oct 15, 2008
Independence Mo
www.myspace.com
gaboonviper85;1234546 said:

The more I look at it, I think your right. I've not been able to find any stats on boost of any motors running this turbo, but even at over twice the RPM of the 11+ LTR motor, I would still only have about HALF the airflow through the hot end... Assuming we get a streight scale of LPM of air to LBS of Boost, I don't think it will be possible to get much over 12lbs of boost at 5600RPM.

(Math: Diesel motor moves up to 12.7 LTR per revolution. That is 38,100 LPM to spin the turbine fast enough to hit max boost of 25 Lbs... or around 1524 LPM per lbs of boost.

7M-GTE is only 16,800 LPM at 5600, giving an estimated 11 lbs. Now GRANTED, I know these numbers arn't REAL accurate, as we CRAM more than 3 Ltr of air in these motors, and several other factors, but I think it's close enough to show proof of consept that...

It's a bad Idea. :3d_frown:

Chris

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
funky_monkey58;1234585 said:

Seriously people have been running the holsets off of cummins on smaller engines for a long time.

A guy here in my town has a 2.3 ford block with a 2.3 volvo head running a holset off a diesel and sees boost at 2500rpms.

holset is a smaller turbo designed to flow to a 5.9 liter NOT a turbo designed to flow an 11 liter motor. thats wht i based my info off of. I did not mean all turbos as I have plans in the works to run the holset. i apologize for any mis information though. And was intended as a GUIDE ONLY.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
funky_monkey58;1234585 said:

The said turbo we are talking about was designed for an 11ltr motor not a 6.5ltr cummins turbo diesel from a humvee...

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
gaboonviper85;1234605 said:
The said turbo we are talking about was designed for an 11ltr motor not a 6.5ltr cummins turbo diesel from a humvee...

Great it also cross references to a gt429402s I am am reading this correctly It either has an exhaust A/R of .94 or 1.02. I would think it would spool with the 7mgte. Full boost might not be hit until 5500 rpms but it would come on I think. I am having trouble finding good information on this turbo.

If one of you has a good spec sheet I want to see a link as to why this would not work.

Dieseltech24179

Dec 13, 2008
Vinton Va
Hey u mite check into some of the old perkins engines and the turbos on them. Most of them are holset and garret. Of course look into the smaller ones they are stout I've seen them with a lot of shaft play and still scream in the skidders around here. And ill look around at work tomorrow for some. I work for carter machinery aka caterpillar and all I do is tear down these engines all the way. U wouldn't believe how many reman turbos they throw away out back that have little to no hours on them. I can also find some specs on them too. I hope this helps and doesn't confuse nebody or sound stupid

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
tbcmorris;1234682 said:
Humvee's are not turbo, or powered by a cummins motor

Its powered by an older gm powerplant.

thank you.

Compression ratio...of course. I still think its quite possible but if your doing this cause your low on money your in for a world of hurt.