Did Toyota change the mouldings?

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
CIMG4003.jpg

I just bought a new right hand side rear moulding from Toyota and it doesn't look like the original at all.

The profile of the small lower part (the inserted rubber) is totally different from the original one.

What is going on?

CIMG4007.jpg

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Here is an old moulding. Here you can see that the inserted part consists of two layers (marked by the blue and red arrows)

On the new trim the transparant part marked by the red arrow is missing.

CIMG4013r.jpg

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a production error or did they change something?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm not privy to Toyota's reasoning. I just happen to recall the last time this was posted, and the consensus was that the mouldings were now different.

On the other hand, most people liked the new ones better.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I don't like them. I think they look cheaper and the new shape is more complicated and I think it gives the trim a "busy" look.

Even if they supplied me with all new mouldings to match free of charge I wouldn't want them.

It is going back to Toyota.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Now that I've been awake for a few hours, I vaguely recall something else. I seem to recall that the original mouldings had steel in the center, and this caused problems over the years with warping and rust. The new ones are supposed to be minus the steel core.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I think you're thinking of the pre89 moldings, they had steel cores. I have the ones he pictured above with the strip that comes out and they are all plastic. Looks like the newest ones mold that strip right in, judging from the picture.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
We talking the difference between 87/88 and 89+ side trim mouldings, or something else? If so, the trim on my 89 has a bit of the warpage/separation on the little section on the bottom of the trim. My old 88, with the steel trim, was straight as could be and in good shape.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
The original question was if Toyota changed the 92 mouldings when ordering a replacement. The 92 mould I got from Toyota today is very different from the 92 moulding originally on my car. And not for the better in my oppinion.

I guess I'll have to turn to ebay.

Stupid Toyota!