Did the Head Bolt fault affect N/As?

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Here's an easy one for you - Did in the incorrect Torque settings on the head bolts affect just Turbos, or was the fault apparent on both Turbos and Non Turbos?

I'm 99.9% sure that it affects all 7M'd cars, but I've had some conflicting infomation from a few guys here across the pond and like to get a definitive Yes or No. And before someone suggests searching, believe me, I've searched - A Lot, just haven't found any infomatic specific to 7MGE cars

As always, any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

:)

Apr 13, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
poor head design too. First time I did a bhg repair I just slapped on another head gasket without resurfacing it, new toyota head bolts and I blew another one within a year. The next time I did it I had it resurfaced, arp head bolts and toyota head gasket and I got a lot of compression back. Car drove completely different. A na should not have these kind of problems.. they corrected the issues with the mk4.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, it's not a poor head design.

Overheat an inline six and you WILL warp the head. It's long a narrow. Seen it happen on 2J's before that have been overheated.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
NA's just don't make enough power to blow it ;) <jk>

As for "bad head design" :nono:

It's not like the procedure to prevent a BHG on a 7M is a state secret if you got it wrong that's NOT the head to blame.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Thanks for the info guys, but It turns out I learnt this lesson first hand when I bought an N/A that has already BHG'd :(. Not ideal, but it was cheap, local, manual and there is more metal in the rear arches than rust, which is quite amazing for a UK car.

Build thread (which will almost certainly end in epic failure) to come soon.

Apr 13, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Poodles;1111352 said:
No, it's not a poor head design.

Overheat an inline six and you WILL warp the head. It's long a narrow. Seen it happen on 2J's before that have been overheated.

key word overheated.. driven normal I would think the supra should have no issues. You ever take off the egr system? coolant is supposed to flow to the back of the head. Well it can't move through when there's a blockage back there. Coolant doesn't move and where do you notice the most damage on the bhg? In the back. It blocks up very easy. They could of made that system better...

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Properly maintaining the cooling system solves that problem. The egr plate doesn't have coolant flowing through it, iirc, just exhaust gases. I have a head sitting on a bench in the shop, so I'll check tomorrow to be sure. Yes, the back of the motor does get hotter, as it's so far away from the t.stat, but the biggest difference I've seen is about 10 degrees(on my own motor).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Bzzzzzt wrong.

If you BHG, the main symptom is OVERHEATING. Lose the coolant and you overheat. Period, end of story. Rare cases it's caught in time and you can just swap the HG out.

I'm not going to comment on your overall lack of understanding to how the EGR and EGR cooler works...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
EverythingFallsApart;1111200 said:
poor head design too. First time I did a bhg repair I just slapped on another head gasket without resurfacing it, new toyota head bolts and I blew another one within a year.

Welcome to the most common mistake there is. Improper repair. First you ruined an engine. Then you repaired it wrong. When it failed again, you blamed the engine.

The next time I did it I had it resurfaced, arp head bolts and toyota head gasket and I got a lot of compression back. Car drove completely different. A na should not have these kind of problems.. they corrected the issues with the mk4.

Does the 5M have a problem?

Apr 13, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Poodles;1111931 said:
Bzzzzzt wrong.

If you BHG, the main symptom is OVERHEATING. Lose the coolant and you overheat. Period, end of story. Rare cases it's caught in time and you can just swap the HG out.

I'm not going to comment on your overall lack of understanding to how the EGR and EGR cooler works...

My main symptom was white smoke.. then came on the forums and found out what is was. Just had a small hole around a copper ring though. It didn't over heat much. It was right before I found out what was going on. Second bhg was a pin hole again near the same spot. No overheating. Lose of coolant minimal. But even getting the first bhg early my head was pretty damaged.

Your right cuel.. my bad.. It's been awhile since I've been in the supra world.. there's no coolant back there but I did feel a lot more comfortable taking the system out and plugging that hole in the back. The engine should run cooler..

Apr 13, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Nick M;1112106 said:
Welcome to the most common mistake there is. Improper repair. First you ruined an engine. Then you repaired it wrong. When it failed again, you blamed the engine.

Does the 5M have a problem?

:3d_frown: The car was never driven hard. One owner before me. Well maintained. I had very little over heating.. only right before I did my repair. I was told I shouldn't have any damage. Just put new bolts and hg. We'll I learned the hard way for sure. Didn't think a NA would have these issues. Don't get me wrong.. I love the car..but it's been a lot of headaches.

I haven't heard many issues with the 5m but that's a different motor.. what's the point? I almost bought a mk2.. sometimes i wished i would have.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Loss of pressure and allowing air into the system allows steam to form. Steam doesn't move through the engine, and it doesn't cool worth a crap.

Warped head is next.

No, the 5M's don't have HG problems...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
That question was rhetorical.

Who told you just put a new headgaseket on there with out block and head prep? I hope you now know that person has no idea about what they are talking about.