did i flood the turbo or something worse?

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
while waiting for my lipp elbow to get here from suprasport.....everyday while smoking a cig in the garage i would pour oil down the oil return line of my rebuild (no miles) 42 trim ct 26 to prime it for the install with lipp elbow. i layed the turbo upside down so i can easily see the bearing and fill that hole oil and will spin the wheel by hand till i finish my cig. ive been doing this for a over a week. everyday the oil that was surrounding the bearing would decrease, but i dont see oil anywhere. i figured the bearing soaked it up. so in more oil and spinning, next day same thing, so i filled it and spin again. after a few more days of this i got the elbow. with the lipp attach i picked up the whole unit to make it upright and all the oil that was mysteriously dissapearing comes out of the exhast side of the turbo. is this normal for oil to be able to go into the exhaust from where i poured the oil to prime. i did have the turbo sit upside down the whole time, is this the reason that this happen? by the way can someone tell me what the trim is for a stock ct 26? im very excited to install the turbo and elbow, please help so i dont have to install a messed up turbo.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Turbo's use a few different types of seals one of them being a simple labyrinth seal (think maze for Oil) They don't actually "seal" anything and rely on gravity to work.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
IJ. said:
Turbo's use a few different types of seals one of them being a simple labyrinth seal (think maze for Oil) They don't actually "seal" anything and rely on gravity to work.
u said that it rely on gravity? could it be that the turbo been sitting upside down for a week topped off with oil in the bearing area? please give me some hope...the turbo is rebuilt and pretty just came out the box. never installed.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
IJ. said:
IS: Yep don't panic this is normal behaviour.
damn bro, youre lightning fast. with your experience i will have to listen to you and continue the install. by the way it seems that no one can tell me the trim on the stock ct 26. the turbo that i was talking about in this thread is supposedly an upgraded ct 26 with a 42 trim. can u tell me the difference if any? what can i expect from this turbo. i appeciate your help old wise one.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
ImperfectSupra said:
damn IJ, youre lightning fast. with your experience i will have to listen to you and continue the install.

This guy catches on quick! Only 26 posts to figure this out. Some newbs take a couple of hundred posts before they quit arguing with IJ.

My take on the situation............You need to stop smoking!

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
ForcedTorque said:
This guy catches on quick! Only 26 posts to figure this out. Some newbs take a couple of hundred posts before they quit arguing with IJ.

My take on the situation............You need to stop smoking!
sorry i dont smoke anymore, im on papers

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
trim is calculated as the surface area of the compressor inlet divided by the surface area of the compressor outlet. for the ct-26, i found that the inlet is 46mm diameter, and the outlet is 65mm diameter.

Area of inlet = 23^2 * pi
Area of outlet = 32.5^2 * pi

so

area of inlet = 1662mm^2
area of outlet = 3318mm^2
(approximately)

trim = 1662 / 3318 = .50

so theres your answer in case you still wanted it... the ct-26 compressor wheel is a .50 trim. now keep in mind, that the trim number is dependent upon the actual size of the compressor wheel. a la .50 trim t4 compressor is still capable of flowing way more air than a .60 trim t3. also, keep in mind that a larger trim number means less efficiency, but it makes up in overall power.

hope this helps... :)

Last edited:

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yes, I had this happen to my ct26 when I was doing my engine rebuild.

I let oil sit in the housing for a day and found that it was leaking out.. totally normal with the type of seals used on the ct26

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
hottscennessey said:
Hmm, cars almost done. Does this mean you'll be making it out to the local meets soon? :)
i went to the meet last week and didnt seen u there, so i left at 945. there were no mk3 or 4 so i wasnt excited about nothing, i was hoping to check out ride with the mk4 motor and maybe even ask for a ride shotgun to see if thats where i will head to eventually.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
MmmBoost said:
trim is calculated as the surface area of the compressor inlet divided by the surface area of the compressor outlet. for the ct-26, i found that the inlet is 46mm diameter, and the outlet is 65mm diameter.

Area of inlet = 23^2 * pi
Area of outlet = 32.5^2 * pi

so

area of inlet = 1662mm^2
area of outlet = 3318mm^2
(approximately)

trim = 1662 / 3318 = .50

so theres your answer in case you still wanted it... the ct-26 compressor wheel is a .50 trim. now keep in mind, that the trim number is dependent upon the actual size of the compressor wheel. a la .50 trim t4 compressor is still capable of flowing way more air than a .60 trim t3. also, keep in mind that a larger trim number means less efficiency, but it makes up in overall power.

hope this helps... :)
im still confuse, does this mean that the stock trim is 50?
i have no idea what kind of seal is on the rebuilt turbo all i know is that its a 42 trim rebuilt, it came with the car when i bought it from a member of this forum he said it would give me an extra 20 ponies just to swap it over. what do u guys think it could do?

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
yes. the ct-26 compressor wheel is a 50 trim wheel. now... remember that that it is a 50 trim wheel with a 65mm exducer. (the big part of the wheel) you would need to know what compressor wheel family is in your rebuilt turbo for the trim number to make any sense... fwiw, my old t4 turbo was a .45 trim and it dwarfs the ct/26. flowed roughly twice as much air too.

when a turbo is rebuilt with a different compressor, the old housing is machined out to fit the new compressor. so i can guarantee that it is way better than stock.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
MmmBoost said:
yes. the ct-26 compressor wheel is a 50 trim wheel. now... remember that that it is a 50 trim wheel with a 65mm exducer. (the big part of the wheel) you would need to know what compressor wheel family is in your rebuilt turbo for the trim number to make any sense... fwiw, my old t4 turbo was a .45 trim and it dwarfs the ct/26. flowed roughly twice as much air too.

when a turbo is rebuilt with a different compressor, the old housing is machined out to fit the new compressor. so i can guarantee that it is way better than stock.
k thanks, i will have to talk to the old owner to see if he has the paperwork or info, no matter what a new turbo is better then an old one so i will do my first turbo swap this coming week.

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
yeah, if you want to, you can even pull off the compressor housing and measure the inducer and exducer of the compressor wheel. there was a website around somewhere that had all the different garrett wheels and their measurements.

that way, you would know for sure what it is