Diamond Audio D364.5 Install

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Using the Kevin M pods I recently installed Diamond Audio D3 6.5" components in the front doors. Mostly straight forward except I chose to mount the tweeters in the door panel since they are blocked by my 90 grilles if mounted co axially on the woofer. Also, the ridiculously large crossover was a pain to find a home for. Eventually I mounted it on the inside of the door sheet metal just under the mirrors. Ran the speaker wires from the pods to the crossovers through split loom to keep it away from the glass and sharp metal edges. I had to grind the pods a little to clear the woofer frame in a few spots.

Removed the stock connectors from an extra set of rear boxes I had and screwed them to the pods. This allowed me to keep the stock connectors and make it easy to revert back to the original tuned boxes if I wanted to.

Tweeter mounting. I chose this location because it is somewhat stealthy and there is room behind the panel for the wiring and it is not in the way of the defroster ducts.. Could also mount on the top of the door behind the defroster.

DSCF0202.JPG

DSCF0203.JPG

DSCF0204.JPG

Wiring for crossover. I used a PC power connector for the tweeter since it is mounted to the door panel and needs to be easily separated if you want to remove the panel for servicing the door. If that connector doesn't hold up I'll get a real automobile rated connector.
DSCF0208.JPG

DSCF0209.JPG

Picture of the factory connector mounted to pod to allow original wiring to be used.

DSCF0205.JPG

Speaker mounted to pod and bolted to door. Crossover is mounted inside the door upper left under the mirror. Check to make sure the window closes if you mount something yourself there. Pain in the ass location, but I couldn't find anything better on the drivers door. Pax door has more room since the door lock relay is not there but I needed a solution for both doors.
DSCF0212.JPG

DSCF0213.JPG

Last edited:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Nice install. It looks clean. I installed my pods a few days ago and did the same exact thing with pulling the stock plug from the old boxes. It works well, unfortunately I didn't think of screwing them into the pods until I had already reassembled one door. If I ever have to take them out again I will probably do that.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I tried to buy the connectors from Toyota, but they are not listed according to Jeff. You can get the 91+ connectors, but they are different and won't mate to the 87-90 door harness.

Sparky33

Sep 13, 2010
NJ
do you like the sound improvement? i feel like going from a 4" with a nice enclosure to an open enclosure 6.5 i didnt really gain any low end i chose to use focal access 6.5 components

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Sparky33;1985032 said:
do you like the sound improvement? i feel like going from a 4" with a nice enclosure to an open enclosure 6.5 i didnt really gain any low end i chose to use focal access 6.5 components
I A/B compared the 4" and the 6.5" after I installed the first 6.5". My ear said the 6.5" was less efficient (not as loud), but had better high frequency response and stronger bass, but defintely not outstanding. I plan to run AudMes on it at some point and really figure out what the frequency response is.

MK3POWER

Oct 7, 2007
Miami, Florida, United States
Im glad someone posted some actual install and love that its so recent any work done to your rear speakers? I think thats the area that needs the most love
Also how much did this set up run you? Are you happy with the results?