detecting knock on a 7mgte

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Ive searched, and apparently most people call "tuning" these engines bolting on parts. I am finding very little info on actually tuning the 7m as far as knock goes. Whats everyones tuning strategy that isnt on a standalone? Is there a way to tell when the engine is detecting knock from the knock sensors? I have seen other cars where you can do some sort of knock light, but I know the piezoelectric KS on our cars are very sensitive, and it seems ridiculous to get those microphone/headphone setups when we already have KS on the engine. Thanks!

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
mk2 supra;1985454 said:
Ive searched, and apparently most people call "tuning" these engines bolting on parts. I am finding very little info on actually tuning the 7m as far as knock goes. Whats everyones tuning strategy that isnt on a standalone? Is there a way to tell when the engine is detecting knock from the knock sensors? I have seen other cars where you can do some sort of knock light, but I know the piezoelectric KS on our cars are very sensitive, and it seems ridiculous to get those microphone/headphone setups when we already have KS on the engine. Thanks!

You need operational knock sensors, and if using a standalone the Software must be able to detect knock, if not you need a separate knock box and someone that knows how to make it work. For the 7m the ECU and proper functioning sensors, and solid working wiring is all that there is. I think waaaaaay back someone may have done something to display knock separately for the stock ECU. Anything other than this I guess would be with a good dyno tuning session. This is all based my understanding of it anyone more versed on this please chime in.

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Ok thanks guys. That just seems insane to me that everyone piggybacking is just tuning by AFR and hoping the TCCS is sorting the rest of it all out... Im seeing a standalone in my future :)

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The TCCS knock sensor when it detects knock will react and retard timing on the next ignition event. It is very good. It also learns what knock retard works best for different conditions and applies that immediately. That's one reason why the piggybacks don't blow up motors.