Detailed Mark III Supra

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
Got a chance to do 7MBoost's car for next to nothing so that my work could get some views by other people and hopefully some business. It was originally a red car and had a repaint done a few years ago to black with blue pearl. Well he was busy putting the engine together and a few other things and never really took care of the exterior. I offered my services in return for some word of mouth advertising. Only worked on exterior paint and put in about 7 hours with a few breaks here and there. Used Lake County CCS orange and white pads, meguiars #83, 3m finesse it II, mother's clay bar, off brand rotary, and Zaino Z2 (need to order some Z5 for these black cars!). Here are the pics in a somewhat chronological order.

p1341847_1.jpg

p1341847_2.jpg

p1341847_3.jpg

p1341847_4.jpg

p1341847_5.jpg

p1341847_6.jpg

p1341847_7.jpg

p1341847_8.jpg

p1341847_9.jpg

p1341847_10.jpg

p1341847_11.jpg

p1341847_12.jpg

p1341847_13.jpg

p1341847_14.jpg

p1341847_15.jpg

p1341847_16.jpg

p1341847_17.jpg

p1341847_18.jpg

p1341847_19.jpg

p1341847_20.jpg

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
upgradedsupra;1341856 said:
I moved this to the proper section, gallery.

Nice detail! :)

Duane

Thanks. Was looking through seeing where it would fit best, but since it wasn't my car I just played it safe and put it in General Mark III :icon_bigg: .

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
nice work man. I have to find someone local who can do work like that and rejuvenate my lexus. Its also black. Since yo are not local, mind giving us some pointers on what to ask for and look for from a detailer?

Thanks,
Moe

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Anyone in the central FL area who wants top notch detail, BlackSS is the shit, AS YOU CAN SEE!

And who says Cali's got all the good offsets!!!!! haha

Last edited:

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
Damn, looks like I need to setup shop in Cali, lol.

suprastanger507mgte;1341960 said:
nice work man. I have to find someone local who can do work like that and rejuvenate my lexus. Its also black. Since yo are not local, mind giving us some pointers on what to ask for and look for from a detailer?

Thanks,
Moe

I've really only been doing this as a hobby for about 3-4 years and using a rotary for almost two years. I've recently started doing this as a side business since I'm starting law school this August. Things to ask is what do they use on the paint as far as a rotary or a dual action polisher. A DA is much easier to use and won't damage anything in a novice's hands, but it takes a lot more work to get the same results. The rotary will get the job done faster and easier, but can also cause some damage if not used properly. Also, if your not using halogen lights to light up the work area, you make think you've done a good job until the car goes out into the sun and all the halograms show up
2700_ClubLexus001.jpg

That's a big problem in a lot of dealerships that claim to detail. My advice is to ask to see some before and after pics of some of their work. Be prepaired to pay $200-$500 depending on how bad the car is, where you live, and how much is being done. Make sure they actually correct the paint and not just use filler waxes and glazes that will wash off in a month. Also make sure they use a paint sealant and not wax. It may be a little more $$, but worth it. Paint sealant will last 6 months-year compared to wax that will be lucky to last a few weeks. I personally like Zaino because of their ZFX system. It's not cheap, but shortens cure time to 30-45 minutes. Usually paint sealants take a couple hours to dry, then 24 hrs to cure before adding another coat. The ZFX uses a curing additive that you add just before applying. It allows a full cure in about 45 minutes, and you can do 3 coats in a 24 hour period. LOL, now I'm sounding like a Zaino rep!

Last edited:

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
BlackSS;1342258 said:
Damn, looks like I need to setup shop in Cali, lol.

I've really only been doing this as a hobby for about 3-4 months and using a rotary for almost two years. I've recently started doing this as a side business since I'm starting law school this August. Things to ask is what do they use on the paint as far as a rotary or a dual action polisher. A DA is much easier to use and won't damage anything in a novice's hands, but it takes a lot more work to get the same results. The rotary will get the job done faster and easier, but can also cause some damage if not used properly. Also, if your not using halogen lights to light up the work area, you make think you've done a good job until the car goes out into the sun and all the halograms show up
2700_ClubLexus001.jpg

That's a big problem in a lot of dealerships that claim to detail. My advice is to ask to see some before and after pics of some of their work. Be prepaired to pay $200-$500 depending on how bad the car is, where you live, and how much is being done. Make sure they actually correct the paint and not just use filler waxes and glazes that will wash off in a month. Also make sure they use a paint sealant and not wax. It may be a little more $$, but worth it. Paint sealant will last 6 months-year compared to wax that will be lucky to last a few weeks. I personally like Zaino because of their ZFX system. It's not cheap, but shortens cure time to 30-45 minutes. Usually paint sealants take a couple hours to dry, then 24 hrs to cure before adding another coat. The ZFX uses a curing additive that you add just before applying. It allows a full cure in about 45 minutes, and you can do 3 coats in a 24 hour period. LOL, now I'm sounding like a Zaino rep!

Thanks a lot man. Those are great tips to have. Detailers are dime a dozen nowadays, but its good to know what you wnat when shopping for one.

Also, do you know what paint matching is??? I've heard this term in detailing.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Nice work!!! For anyone who's never had a quality detail they should at least once. I learned a ton from the first time I had one done.

I think I see some megs 105? Did you follow with 205?

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
jugodegolf;1342333 said:
Nice work!!! For anyone who's never had a quality detail they should at least once. I learned a ton from the first time I had one done.

I think I see some megs 105? Did you follow with 205?

I used #83 on a lake country CCS orange pad (medium cut), then followed with a white lake country CCS pad (light polishing) with 3M's finesse it II. I tried a few combos before getting to that particular sequence. I use a hodgepodge of stuff, but I love the versatility of 83. I might dabble into some merzerna polishes when i run out of what I got.

I don't think rotaries are as hard as people make them out to be. A little practice and paying attention goes a long way with 'em.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
BlackSS;1342347 said:
I used #83 on a lake country CCS orange pad (medium cut), then followed with a white lake country CCS pad (light polishing) with 3M's finesse it II. I tried a few combos before getting to that particular sequence. I use a hodgepodge of stuff, but I love the versatility of 83. I might dabble into some merzerna polishes when i run out of what I got.

I don't think rotaries are as hard as people make them out to be. A little practice and paying attention goes a long way with 'em.

I've only done one corrections to date. Seems we both on similiar paths.