Design Flaw? Needless to say not happy even if it isnt.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
So as some of you know my car has been running for a few weeks now, just hasn't hit the road yet. Well today was the day for it to see the road finally. I just had to fix 1 thing. An oil leak from canton oil relocation adapter on the side of the block. At first I thought it was the fittings. So I took them off, new ones were put on (with pipe thread tape/sealant) and it still leaked. Finally today I said forget it and took the adapter completely off the car. I noticed it came off with some easy but was some what stiff on there too.

I got every thing cleaned and the fittings on nice and tight and went to put the adapter back on the block for the last time. It doesn't line up.... So I try again thinking maybe fatigue set in some and I cant get the same pressure and or angle I had before. Still a no go.

I hold the adapter up to the block, and notice that the adapter and manifold are hitting.....There is NO way to get the adapter back on without removing the manifold. But Something I also noticed is, is that even if the adapter does go back on the manifold will still push on the adapter causing it to leak

Was wondering if maybe this is a design flaw in the manifold or from canton???

The manifold is a cxracing new design (turbo farther forward).

Yes I know I can remove the manifold from the car dent it in slightly and be fine. But I'm just putting this out there for everyone's knowledge so they fix it BEFORE they get to the point I am at now. haha

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

Pics are for reference of what I'm referring too. If you need more info. Let me know. Please keep the thread clean, no bashing or bs like that.

Thanks,

David

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Def a manifold clearance issue, rather than an issue on Canton's end. I have seen 4 different manifolds on 7M's (stock, my RR, a handmade tubular, and one of the CX racing ones), and I know my RR and the stocker would not touch the canton. Either you need to bust out the hammer and modify the manifold to not hit it, or replace the manifold with one that clears the canton.

Either way sucky luck, I hope you resolve it :(

edit: Ian's idea is good too, but I don't know how much material is there tbh.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
So the cx racing manifold hugs the block more than stock? I'm trying to picture exactly how it would contact and it seems that manifold must be a significantly different design than the stock one. I don't remember the stock one coming nearly that close to the oil filter outlet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
toyotanos;1806683 said:
Def a manifold clearance issue, rather than an issue on Canton's end. I have seen 4 different manifolds on 7M's (stock, my RR, a handmade tubular, and one of the CX racing ones), and I know my RR and the stocker would not touch the canton. Either you need to bust out the hammer and modify the manifold to not hit it, or replace the manifold with one that clears the canton.

Either way sucky luck, I hope you resolve it :(

edit: Ian's idea is good too, but I don't know how much material is there tbh.
A LOT :)

mk3_7m;1806686 said:
LMAO was trying to find a pic thanks!

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Oh wow! There is alot of material there then. I'll just shave it down then.

Seems this issue has been around for a while. Searched for threads on it but didn't find any. My bad if this is all a repost. Haha. Thanks for the idea and the confirmation that the idea will work guys. Appreciate it A TON!