deposits in the head cooling chamber

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Received built head from Revolutionary Performance few days ago, I asked them to find me used head because to remove and ship my head to States is too much downtime and $$$. OK, they foundused head, I arranged Ferrea parts to be shipped from TMS to Revolutionary. Head received full effort port job, etc. Look at the picture of deposits in cooling chamber - greenish from exhaust side and grey/brownish from intake side. And deposits more severe toward cylinder 6, typical for 7M
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2802/cylinderhead017wv.jpg
I have never seen something like that. What is it - sign of head being overheated, or owner completely neglected such basic things like changing coolant at least every 2 years ? Tomorrow want to take it for hardness test.
Any comments?
Thanks
Vladimir, 89T

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
No, there is no pitting, I can get picture tomorrow. Green color looks like old corroded copper, why it is in the head. Maybe problem with radiator from donor motor? Or owner used some "Stop Leak" shit? Is stock rad made of copper?
Vladimir, 89T

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Ian, by "removed from the deck" you mean removed from the block? Sorry for my English. This head was resurfaced, though finish is very poor for MHG. Finish is more rough toward the end cylinders (no.1 and 6) For me it looks like the sign of head being warped like banana. I hope camshaft bearings are in line. Today or tomorrow will take it to my machinist, will see what he says.
Vladimir, 89T

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
I have no idea how much was removed from the head. Any way to determine it? Something like measuring of head thickness. There is nothing about it in TSRM. I remember some time ago somebody asked the same question and answer was yes, it is possible, only need access to Toyota cylinder head dimensions database. Something like that.
Anyway, before swapping heads I will cc chambers to make sure it is identical for all cylinders

P.S. Regarding green deposits - maybe this is consequence of bhg, cooland goes acidic and eats stuff in no time. Only why it is green, is it the way aluminium oxideses?

Vladimir, 89T

bryank

Feb 28, 2006
Bournemouth, UK
mk3ukr said:
I have no idea how much was removed from the head. Any way to determine it? Something like measuring of head thickness. There is nothing about it in TSRM. I remember some time ago somebody asked the same question and answer was yes, it is possible, only need access to Toyota cylinder head dimensions database. Something like that.
Anyway, before swapping heads I will cc chambers to make sure it is identical for all cylinders

P.S. Regarding green deposits - maybe this is consequence of bhg, cooland goes acidic and eats stuff in no time. Only why it is green, is it the way aluminium oxideses?

Vladimir, 89T

hiya,

OEM & some pattern composite hedgaskets have copper rings round the coolant passageways.. I'm guessing (total theory) that the headgasket had gone on the exhaust side on the motor that head was on, and it was then sat for quite a while, probably with poor coolant as well. I've seen the copper part of a HG totally wrecked, which means bits of copper are floating round the coolant system.. the localised green makes me think it was not run for a long time though as otherwise the copper would have been more evenly distributed..

Cheers,

Bryan

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
bryank said:
hiya,

OEM & some pattern composite hedgaskets have copper rings round the coolant passageways.. I'm guessing (total theory) that the headgasket had gone on the exhaust side on the motor that head was on, and it was then sat for quite a while, probably with poor coolant as well. I've seen the copper part of a HG totally wrecked, which means bits of copper are floating round the coolant system.. the localised green makes me think it was not run for a long time though as otherwise the copper would have been more evenly distributed..

Cheers,

Bryan

It makes sense
Vladimir, 89T