Decided to go with Lexus afm

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have posted on here and asked nine thousand questions about the maft-pro, and decided to go with the lexus afm, 550's, and 255 fuel pump. I already have my safc-II installed so maybe this will give me the extra horses I've been looking for.
I've bought a lexus afm with a cone filter, 550 injectors, an aftermarket boost gauge, all shipped for $400.00....I might could have got it cheaper, but I need it now so that I can have it installed and tuned before March 16. I've already ordered my new fuel pump and it should be here by friday. The same guy has an APR fuel pressure regulator with gauge and lines. He wants $125.00 for it shipped. Is that a good price?
After I install this, I'm going to take it and have it tuned and dynod. I'm going to try and film it with my digital camera and have it downloaded or uploaded on here. I've never tried that before, but I'm sure I can figure it out with a little help. Thanks for reading this longer than average thread.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I found a Speed Index Motorsports fuel pressure regulator brand new on eBay for $26.00. Does anyone know if you need to buy the expensive fuel pressure regulators or even if I need to replace the stock regulator? As stated above, I'm installing a 255 Walbro fuel pump and 550 injectors. Just want to know if I need to install a new fuel pressure regulator. Thanks in advance.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Come on guys, don't be skerrred. I think that Aaron from driftmotion has told me what I want to know though. Thanks anyways.

N

NDBoost

suprahero said:
I found a Speed Index Motorsports fuel pressure regulator brand new on eBay for $26.00. Does anyone know if you need to buy the expensive fuel pressure regulators or even if I need to replace the stock regulator? As stated above, I'm installing a 255 Walbro fuel pump and 550 injectors. Just want to know if I need to install a new fuel pressure regulator. Thanks in advance.
now tell me, if your life depended on a blood circulation machine, would you want the hospital to cheap out just to save a few bucks, and use a plastic machine that was made in some small third world country with no quality control?

if you cheap out on the FPR you run the risk of running too lean and you could seriously f' kill the motor.

superiorsupra

Apr 1, 2005
ceres
don't be cheap on the fpr and get a aeromotive one with lines, you will live not to regret it. Nice deal on the afm package, for 4 bills, that's a good price.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Can someone explain to me why you need to upgrade the fuel pressure regulator?? If you have the flow from the pump that is way more than the car needs for 400 hp why do you need a different regulator surly the stock one which is controlled by vacume/boost will rais the pressure as the boost incrreases??

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I dont know the answer to your question Down but not out. I wish I did. The same guy I bought everything else from has a APR fuel pressure regulator with hoses for $125.00 and he said he paid three hundred for it. I may buy it from him. Does anyone know anything about APR fuel pressure regulators. I tried to find one but couldnt.
The hole setup was used, but supposedly it only has seven miles on it. I've got pictures of the fpr. Everything looked almost brand new. The lexus afm may have more miles on it, but the injectors and regulator are practically new. He has a brand new transmission, clutch kit and other stuff I may buy and do a 5speed swap. I miss my other supra with a five speed. Automatic supras are funner to drive then any other car except 5speed supras.

Dziuggy

eurotrash
Mar 31, 2005
san francisco, ca
dziuggy.com
if you will be runing 550s you dont usualy need afpr because most mk3 runs pig ritch anyways. everyone buys fpr and turns is all the way down. now if you have 440 + lex fpr is necesity. i an runing close to 500hp on stock fpr and af is great

moorman

Not a Lurker, Voyeuristic
May 17, 2005
San Diego, CA
members.provalue.net
Dziuggy said:
if you will be runing 550s you dont usualy need afpr because most mk3 runs pig ritch anyways. everyone buys fpr and turns is all the way down. now if you have 440 + lex fpr is necesity. i an runing close to 500hp on stock fpr and af is great

Dzjuggy has it right. Since you purchased the 550cc injectors to go with the Lex, you don't need the AFPR (Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator). All your fine-tuning will be done w/ the s-afc

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
I've got a Ls400 afm and stock injectors. To go with this setup then I'll need an AFPR and a walbro255 then? Is there a recommended afpr cheaper than the aeromotive setup? money's getting thin.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
eh, i disagree a little bit here. you really cant tune idle with the SAFC, because the ECU will keep re-adjusting/ "correcting" whatever you do... i got an AFPR so i could lower the fuel pressure, and i lowered it A LOT. i'm still running rich enough that the fumes from the exhaust burn my eyes, and i'm way below factory specs.

fuel mods: walbro 255 run off of 10g wire/relay directly from the battery, resistor bypassed, and fuel pump relay bypassed. new hoses all over, new filter, AFPR, no FPD.

-shaeff

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Shaeff, if I dont get the afpr then I'll be running to rich. So I'm buying the fpr to lower my fuel pressure and not increase it. I would have never thought that. Thanks for everyones help...lol

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
You should be fine without the AFPR. I have one on my car, but my fuel pressure is kept on the stock fuel pressure setting, so I don't really use it. With 550cc injectors, your going to be running rich no matter what. You can try and adjust the fuel pressure to lean it out, but thats going to effect your idle. The AFC is whats really going to help you get those high rpm/high load conditions leaned out.