Death to freeze plugs (or at least this one)

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
I have been stuggling for hours over multiple days with this one freeze plug. I have tried leverage (bends everything I use and doesn't budge, I've triied hitting it, pulling on it, heating it then cooling it rapidly to break the seal, and still nothing. Does anybody know some inventive ways of getting this thing out?

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
I ALWAYS remove them by punching a hole in them with a hammer and sharp punch. If you can't get a hammer close in, then use a "ladyfoot" (tool store or truck will know what they are), and a hammer.

Then pry out. You can also use a dime/nickle size flat punch, and knock in one side, which will cause it to flip the other side out.

They can be a real bitch.

We had a '79 landcruiser in a while back, and those plugs just did not want to come out. Took forever and many different tools.

Be sure and sand the block holes to get all the rust and corrosion off before installing the new ones.

You'll also need a freeze plug installation set to get them in correctly.

Last edited:

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Yup, the hole thing was the first thing I did. Everything I use to pry on it just bends when I use a breaker bar. That thing is stuck.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
drill a bigger hole, multiple holes, to weaken the freeze plug. Use a bigger screw/bolt and pry on it. The freeze plug should bend. Keep working on it and it will weaken and break apart/come out.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Good luck with getting it out...they can be a PITA.

Just make sure you replace your freeze plugs with Toyota...the holes in the block are metric size. Doarman plugs can blow out ;)

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Well, my friend got it out somehow. He did the same thing I had been doing for hours. Never worked for me, but of course it worked for him. I have never hated a car part this much. Oh, well, at least I can make some progress now.