Dealing with the Rust...

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
I haven't dealt with it yet, but it's there. My rear inner fenders are rusting away, so much so that there is a hole in the driver side from the fender to the spare tool pocket. I was holding water in the back spare well, so that has started to rust as well, although not as bad. And there is also rust along the undercarriage.

Obviously I plan on keeping the car, since I am in the middle of a build. I don't plan on driving her in the rain/snow or even when there is a chance of rain. I will drive through the occasional car wash, but I will promptly check for leaks and soak up any standing water. Anything else I can do in the mean time?

When I finally do choose to fix the rust problem (next winter), what should I do? Do I just take her to a few body shops and get estimates? Any ideas on what that type of work would run? How did you deal with your rust issues, and what did it cost you?

Thanks.

Ben

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Rust is a virus. It will continue to grow and grow once it starts. You need to cut it off and seal what you have left. If the holes are that big you will need to do metal work to fix properly.

Honestly if its that bad, i would consider finding a rust free body, depends on the shops quote.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
if you are rusted to the point where you have gaping holes, cutting/welding is really your only option. Depending on the severity of the rust, expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 5K for a proper job (not including re-spray)

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
It will not get any better and most likely will get worse. Any moisture in the air is enough to keep it going, even a change in temp can make condensation that will worsen it.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
Had both sides rear quarter panels and inner wheel wells replaced and painted. For me it was well worth it. Without doing it, more damage was happening.

Cost around 4k.

Definately give details on what you expect to be done and put it in writing exactly, so when you get it back and there is a problem you can go back and show them what was agreed to. Ask MANY questions too.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Hardly anyone does rust repair anymore. Most body shops just want to buy a new fender and grille and slap it on. They won't touch rust. At least not around here. The few old school guys that will do it are always swamped. Mine needs two rear quarter patches and some small repair on the inner wheelhouses. At least 2K without paint...It'll be hard to find another '90 with black ruby pearl, so I'm gonna do it, but damm... Supras are $$$ pits.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
NewWestSupras;1246649 said:
Hardly anyone does rust repair anymore. Most body shops just want to buy a new fender and grille and slap it on. They won't touch rust. At least not around here. The few old school guys that will do it are always swamped. Mine needs two rear quarter patches and some small repair on the inner wheelhouses. At least 2K without paint...It'll be hard to find another '90 with black ruby pearl, so I'm gonna do it, but damm... Supras are $$$ pits.

Thats because good rust repair is expensive. Its actually cheaper just to buy a new car.