dbxm ffi

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i normally dont post pics of my car but i was too excited not to share.
this was the design i came up with. i wanted a lot of volume, even in the rear. i wanted the throttle body to come in at an angle so it faced towards the runners for better flow. i also wanted a square design w/ short runners as this proved to be a good design on sean's car. i think all things were acomplished. just want to say thanks again to sean for making my vision a reality. i think he did an awesome job. cant wait to see what it will do.

concept-

tn_intakeproto.JPG

end result-

tn_db2_30.JPG

tn_db2_33.JPG

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Looks nice, faces parellel to the runner inlets are bad, so the angle is a good Idea regardless of the TB positioning. You should be plased with the results in driveability as well.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
just want to say thanks again to sean for making my vision a reality. i think he did an awesome job.

Anytime, plus it makes it easier when you have a good concept to work from.

Sean

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
I'm sure you're safe if Sean has run 29 psi on a similar design, but... welding 90 degree croners into a pressurized aluminum chamber is not the most desirable thing. The stresses on those joint are huge and aluminum loses alot of it's strength after welding. you would be much better off if those were formed (bent) corners. I've learned this the hard way while making intercooler endtanks. I'm not saying yours will crack, but if they do, then you know what to do next time.

Glen

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
thanks guys!

supra90- no it hasnt been flow tested. the girl i know that can get her mouth around something that big is out of town at the moment. altho, it is a similar design to sean's manifold and has worked very well.

nash- i dont have a/c, and like i said above a similar design worked very well on sean's car. it made big power improvements mid and top end w/ a little sacrifice to bottom end. thats what i was looking for.

nick- yes it is an auto. havent quite decided what to do w/ the cable. however, to clarify it controls line pressure, not really a kickdown cable in standard terms. but it does effect kickdown to some extent.

empera- yep that's what im using! sean designed that bracket and put it thru the mill on his car. works perfect.

jon- lol. actually it was built in va so there!

glen- thanks for the input. i have full confidence in sean's welding. however, for good measure it will be tested once the tbody plate is done. 60psi and let 'er eat. if need be im sure the design can be tweaked.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Thing is about an intake manifold is your never actually storing/building any pressure without a bleed off for long periods of time. You will always have an intake valve open giving the pressure a place to go ie. into the cylinder. I did however apply 60 psi to my manifold and let it sit there on the head. Anymore psi than this tried to open the valves.
Sean

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
Sean I'm sure it will probably be fine. If you hook your boost gauge up to the manifold though (perhaprs you already do) you will see that there definantly is nearly constant pressure in there for as long as you hold the throttle open, that's the idea behind having such a large volume in the intake, so that it can easily fill the open cylinder without much pressure drop. In any case you still haven't eliminted a fatigue failure, over many cycles the aluminum will be more and more likely to crack. If you used thick enough material and did a good job welding then it will work, I just wanted to give some constructive input from experience on how the design could be improved if needed, or for others following along.

empera said:
how do u tension the alternator with that bracket?

You can see the stock tensioner in some of the pics.