Dare I Sell My Supra......2JZUL8R?

Sell the Iconic 2JZUL8R?

• Total voters

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I wouldn't sell my car if push came to shove. I'm way too emotionally attached to my car to sell it. Hell even if it sat in a garage collecting dust, I'd still go to the garage and admire it.

You have quite the daily drive, take the Supra out once in a while. Put your foot down one day in 3rd gear on the highway and you'll realize why you bought the car in the first place. You'll soon also realize why you would never want to sell such an icon.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
S.A. supra;2001543 said:
I want a boat that I can take to the coast, but thats gonna run me 25k. What keeps me from buying it is that I dont have time to run down to the coast but 4 or 5 times a year. So im just gonna wait till I have enough time to get down there more. I guess I could buy it a just park it in the drive foe everyone to admire. Now that just doesn't make sense to me.

Now in your case I understand not selling something that was handed down or that you built with your own hands. I dont know if the op built this car or bought it, and if he bought it how much he bought it for. Also I haven't seen any pics. All that would factor in a bit.

My opinion as of now is sell it since he isn't using it.

I don't think a boat really can be compared to a car. A boat has to be taken to water to be used, but a car can be used pretty much anywhere. A boat would loose value real quick too unless you are buying some sort of a classic boat or something. I really don't see his Supra depreciating or doing any harm sitting in his garage unless he needs the space or the money. I'm sure one day he will have the desire to take the car out and enjoy it, this may just not be that time.

MNBmk3T;2001625 said:
I wouldn't sell my car if push came to shove. I'm way too emotionally attached to my car to sell it. Hell even if it sat in a garage collecting dust, I'd still go to the garage and admire it.

You have quite the daily drive, take the Supra out once in a while. Put your foot down one day in 3rd gear on the highway and you'll realize why you bought the car in the first place. You'll soon also realize why you would never want to sell such an icon.

I am too. I always get people asking if mine is for sale, and my response is usually "anything is for sale for the right price", but if they were being dead serious I don't think I could sell them my Supra unless they offered some seriously crazy money.

The car is absolutely stunning Ben. Is your drive to work a nice drive, or can it be made nice by taking a long way through the back roads?

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Thanks for all of the feedback. Since my original post I have actually received two offers on the car. That definitely makes it "real". I'm now leaning 95% towards keeping her and establishing some goals for this year. Drive x amount per month, put some money into her for improvements (which always spurs immediate interest), etc. But yeah, if someone offered me $25k today, it would be hard to turn the cash down.

Thanks,

Ben

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
That's great man. I think your in the same boat as all of us if we could make 5k return on the car I think it would make us all at least think hard about it. Have fun with it man she's pretty awesome haha.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
benk777;2001726 said:
Thanks for all of the feedback. Since my original post I have actually received two offers on the car. That definitely makes it "real". I'm now leaning 95% towards keeping her and establishing some goals for this year. Drive x amount per month, put some money into her for improvements (which always spurs immediate interest), etc. But yeah, if someone offered me $25k today, it would be hard to turn the cash down.

Thanks,

Ben

That's always a good way to re-spark interest in something. Buy parts for it! Then you get to order the parts, wait for the parts, install the parts, and then finally enjoy the parts. That's probably one of my favorite things about having a car. I think it will be good if you do bring the car out more, you will get to drive it and others will be able to see it and compliment you on it which always makes you feel good about the car.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
See my only problem is when I spend a small amount on my car it opens up a Pandora's box of other shit that I want to buy for my car lol.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I sold my car 7 months ago, and from time to time I miss it, but I'm glad I did. I was offered a lot of money for my car back in '08 and passed on it because I was attached, but I should have taken it, I could have had $2k more in the pocket.

There are only so many people that can afford to offer top dollar for MKIII's, so I wouldn't pass on an offer without a LOT of thought

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Definitely a small market, plus... A bank is not willing to loan money on this car... So you need someone with cash and/or a good line of credit. Still, I wouldn't part with my car for under 30k which reinforces my "never sell" policy.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
Sell it back to Nick ;) He misses that car. I do too. Back on topic: Keep it. There are VERY few people who would take care of their own car, let alone a MKIII Supra. It's got a good home with you.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My final comment here.. Just to share a thought...

Having purchased many new vehicles over the years and eating the depreciation when driving off the lot, a good perspective to keep in regards to the mkiii is that unless you kill it, the car will generally hold its value. (if not actually increase)
Spending tons of money to upgrade is not truly wise, however, the amount you spend is offset over the years.

Having said that, if you don't truly enjoy the car and it's just holding a spot on the ground, there does come a point where it's wise to release it back into the wild. Only a true collector holds cars they don't drive and generally that requires quite a bit if wealth to do properly. Humidity can start to degrade the car all on its own simply by sitting even if it is a far slower rust process. I doubt there will be more than a couple hundred of these left in the world in 30 years.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Only have to ask yourself one question.

If you didn't have it. ..Would you buy it today?. That's how I decided when it is time to sell something. Miss it or not if I would not buy it today..well than I won't need it tomorrow

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia
The car is in good hands and you could never be sure the buyer would treat it as you do. As someone earlier said, it's value isn't depreciating anymore as a new car would...

definitely don't sell it, not until you are sure anyway.
sweet ride

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
ZoomZoomZoom;2001198 said:
Take the wife and kids. Kids usually fit in the back seat. If not, stick 'em in there sideways. Leave the cat and dog at home. They'll get over it ;)
LOL I'd keep it, and find more excuses to drive it more.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
i've had my supra for so long, to be honest I probably drove it less than you if you add up the years and the miles. lol

The only way I could get rid of the car is if it was stolen because I could never muster the strength to sell it, since it's not really worth much, and I can't stop funneling time and money into it. TIme will present it's self slowly over the years... Takes many years but you'll get a few days here and a few months there and every single time you drive it, you will enjoy it for about the first 10 minutes lol until the next 2-3 months you drive it again.

Exile87

Jan 21, 2007
Seattle WA
I would have bought this car if you were selling it a few months ago. I just dropped close to 20k in parts and bodywork to get mine close to the level yours is at. I wish i had never sold my 1990 Golf, is wasn't much to look at and didn't make high horsepower, but it had a ton of suspension work and enough torque to put a huge smile on my face. Keep the Supra, you will regret selling it.