Damn it, Im about to give up...talk me out of it.

Chira

ABQ MK3 Kid
Sep 14, 2009
Albuqueruqe New Mexico USA
airhead04;1446249 said:
Wow, Im sorry for that man. I would have been pissed.

Looks like Ill be doing a rebuild here in the next month or so. :icon_bigg

Now naturally what you have do is really look at the car and really REALLY ask yourself if it is worth rebuilding. Like most of the other guys have said everything on your car is going to have miles on it whether you replace just the drive train. Multiply that by your car having almost a minimum on 20 years on it. You gotta ask is your love of a car worth shoveling away every extra dollar you make into a cash gobbling monster. I know from experience Ive only owned my Supra for a little over 6 months and have plunged about 7000 into it replacing stuff that prevented it from running at all, this doesn't even hit all the regular maintenance costs. Buying/ Building up a Supra is like getting married to and spiteful woman, all the love in the world wouldn't keep her with you forever and she can break your heart at anytime, while simultaneously walking away with all your cash. :naughty:

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Weak link in a ma70 is the owner. Money should never be an issue of not getting that baby fixed. So take your time.... plan out worst case scenarios. My 7M pass down to me skipped a few teeth on the exhaust side. Decided that the original 170k motor needed a rebuild. After 4 months of waiting and gathering parts... motor is in and running great. But as cautions as I can be I always check everything after some hard pulls with boost.

All cars are high maintenance... turbo cars just needs them more. Nothing Mechanical lasts 4 ever. In all have a reputable shop inspect your block while your there. Have that head replaced or rebuilt if possible. On my head prior to rebuild, was told there was premature cracks were they ended up being repaired. I should have just purchased a new head w/o valvetrain from the dealer, but who knew.

Just stick to your 7m... I love mine and its been about 1k on it already. I get so many comments on my supra, makes me even more attached. 7M love.... good luck.

PS..I spent about 1.3k on labor.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
funky_monkey58;1446236 said:
I see nothing demeaning in that post.

I know too well how common "rebuilt" engines are.

Remember when I posted this.
lasted me less than 50 miles "rebuilt 7mgte"
p1446544_1.jpg

I lost faith in peoples word after that when it comes to rebuilt engines.
At the very least I would pull the engine apart and plastigauge everything and check ring gaps.

Nothing wrong with bringing attention to a potential issue, if I would have taken the time to disassemble my engine completely it would have saved me several thousand dollars.
When it started making noise you didn't stop?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
it COULD go either way though.
the engine in my car now is making about 400whp and i just pulled the engine from a car i bought, put a new felpro HG and torqued down the arp's that were already in there. no problems so far, been about 8k miles now, only 3k @ the 400hp tho.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Today I drove the car and the damn thing blew fluid out the overflow tank....again. So Im thinking its either bhg (no oil pressure loss, no smoke at all, no other symptom of bhg at all though) or a cracked head. Either way Im redoing my car.

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
airhead04;1447104 said:
Today I drove the car and the damn thing blew fluid out the overflow tank....again. So Im thinking its either bhg (no oil pressure loss, no smoke at all, no other symptom of bhg at all though) or a cracked head. Either way Im redoing my car.

As some guys have already mentioned, water from overflow leaking out is a classic case of a BHG....Kinda makes me wonder why spend all that money on the block if you are going to half ass the head? Im not talking about cams and the valve train but damn at least get some new seals......I know you bought it that way, just makes no sense to me.:dunno:

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
black91turbo;1447128 said:
As some guys have already mentioned, water from overflow leaking out is a classic case of a BHG....Kinda makes me wonder why spend all that money on the block if you are going to half ass the head? Im not talking about cams and the valve train but damn at least get some new seals......I know you bought it that way, just makes no sense to me.:dunno:

Im pretty sure its bhg myself but a cracked head can also cause those symptoms too.

Doesnt make sense to me either. Im saving money right now, and getting everything ready to have it done with a mhg. :icon_bigg
If the head is cracked and cant be repaired I know someone holding one that Ill buy. But Im anal about my cars running good and everything so when I rebuild this car, Ill guarantee you itll be one of the cleanest 7ms youll ever see. Not trying to sound cocky, but I cant stand dirt on an engine. lol.

As for the seals and everything, I dont know why he didnt replace them but Im paying for it now. Oh well, you live and you learn.