Damm cps!!

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
okay im missing something here.. the cams/crank are align at TDC 0* and the notches on cps are align as well...i jump the box ..i turn the car on and i shot the timing light and the notch on the crank its not at 0* anymore its more clockwise...i shot the cams and the notch on the cams arent matched up with the blackplate...wtf?? when i turn the car on its no longer at O* and i havent touched the cps yet ....yes the car is operating temps..

The cams and crank dont stay at 0* when i turn the car on and its running!! wat am i missing?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It's supposed to do that. This is how you measure your timing - how many degrees clockwise is it? Look carefully at the markings on the timing cover plate, next to where the notch on the crank pulley is, and you'll see there are marks for 5 and 10 degrees. If you adjust the CPS, you'll notice the timing light will change where the notch is illuminated.

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
GrimJack;1778075 said:
It's supposed to do that. This is how you measure your timing - how many degrees clockwise is it? Look carefully at the markings on the timing cover plate, next to where the notch on the crank pulley is, and you'll see there are marks for 5 and 10 degrees. If you adjust the CPS, you'll notice the timing light will change where the notch is illuminated.

OKay the notch is BTDC-before top dead center ...the notch is before 0 or is BTDC after 0 the ECU automatically advances to 12* i cant tell if its 12*

does the timing cover show 12*btdc? it shows 15 10 5 0... so the notch should be between 15-10??

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If the car is warm, set it to 10 and you're golden. :)

And good work getting a timing light and diving in so fast. I have a feeling you'll be just fine around here.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

91TurboDave

Suprafile
Nov 8, 2007
Washington
Backlash2032;1777841 said:
I dont know about anyone else, but when I replaced my distributor o ring, I had the distributor out, back in, and timed within 15 minutes. And actually, when i stuck it back in, my timing was dead on at 10 degrees. Talk about lucky.

The way it says in the TSRM (running off memory here) line up the crank pulley at 0*, then look in the oil cap until you see the cam lobe pointing straight up, then line up the notches on the CPS/Distributor and stuff it in.

You would not happen to have the CPS Sealing O-ring part number would you? My CPS is leaking like its an MG engine...LOL Help!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=1902&P=2
MAB034A.gif

90099-14088
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/part.aspx?S=19107A

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
noel;1778593 said:
wELL everything came out Great ... i did notice that when i turn the car on it ildes at 1500 rpm im guessing to warm up but exactly how long should it stay like that.

The amount of time depends on a large number of factors. What you should watch for is that it starts idling below 1000 anywhere near operating temps. If the car is warm and idles at 700 then dont worry, you're just fine. :)

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
suprarx7nut;1778607 said:
The amount of time depends on a large number of factors. What you should watch for is that it starts idling below 1000 anywhere near operating temps. If the car is warm and idles at 700 then dont worry, you're just fine. :)

Okay GOOD :icon_razzim for some reason im booooosting Better:evil2: i used to boost 11 now my guage is reading 13. The car feels alot more responsive and quicker.....all i did was change the water neck gasket,90* hose and change the the 2 turbo coolant lines [for some reason the coolant lines were for fuel and had some blue lineing on the inside which looked like it was clogging the coolant lines:aigo:. i have no idea why anyone would put that there.