Damm cps!!

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
i had to change the water neck gasket and that 90* hose under it. It seemed like the CPS had to come out in oder to move the Water neck outa the way. i markED the spot where the bolt goes on the engine so i know where to put when i insert the cps..

After i installed everything..the car didnt wanna start ...i was almost sure i put the cps back exactly how i took it off!! Your thinking does my RPM needle move and the answer is YES CEL - YES and it backfires but doesnt turn on.

WTF do i do??

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
i looked at the notch on the crank pulley and its not at 10* ...so now i gotta spun hte crank until its at 10* which is {TDC} right? after that i gotta reinstall the cps cuz its not at 0* either

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Aligning the cps can be a bear. One time it took me about ten tries to get it right.

Set crank to 0, make sure cam is 0, then set cps to zero with the little notch and try to not let it rotate on install.

Then you need a timing light to set your timing to 10 btdc

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
FU** me i have to a timing light?!?!??! i dont own one or know how to use one great!!.........anyways ima go set the crank to 0* and than align the CPS at 0* after taht the car should start ? if i dont use a timing light wats gonna happen???

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, the car should start. Chances are the timing will be off by some, unless you get really lucky. A timing light is rather simple to use, and anyone who wrenches at all should have one... if you don't want to expand your tools to include one, any shop will time your engine for a small fee.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
noel;1777777 said:
FU** me i have to a timing light?!?!??! i dont own one or know how to use one great!!.........anyways ima go set the crank to 0* and than align the CPS at 0* after taht the car should start ? if i dont use a timing light wats gonna happen???

The light I have now was $15 @ harbor freight. I'd very, very strongly recommend buying one.

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
GrimJack;1777780 said:
Yes, the car should start. Chances are the timing will be off by some, unless you get really lucky. A timing light is rather simple to use, and anyone who wrenches at all should have one... if you don't want to expand your tools to include one, any shop will time your engine for a small fee.

Yea ur soo correct i never had the need for one until now lol and Sears auto Center doesnt work with timing cars :-(
---ON the other hand i got the car starter!! thanks to u guys but vacuum gauge is reading 10-11 {steady} it usually reads 20-21 i checked all the vacuum lines and nothing is out of place {NO CEL} the car is idling at 600rpm {steady} i give it gas and it rises with no problem but it backfires alil not loud but u can tell.....im guessing the timing is off lol

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
suprarx7nut;1777787 said:
The light I have now was $15 @ harbor freight. I'd very, very strongly recommend buying one.

Guess where im going 2morrow HARBOR FREIGHT!!!!! i always thought they were expensive and hard to use but again im wrong !

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
You need a TIMING LIGHT!!!!!you will almost need 2 people to time it it's alot easier. One holding the timing light and one adjusting the cps. Did you use a jumper wire in the dig box not and e1?

Between t and e1 sry.

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
JStoked;1777813 said:
You need a TIMING LIGHT!!!!!you will almost need 2 people to time it it's alot easier. One holding the timing light and one adjusting the cps. Did you use a jumper wire in the dig box not and e1?

Between t and e1 sry.

i didnt use a timing light so i thought i didnt have to jump the t and e1....crank 0* cams 0* cps 0* than play it by ear right? like grimjack said...

Last edited:

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I dont know about anyone else, but when I replaced my distributor o ring, I had the distributor out, back in, and timed within 15 minutes. And actually, when i stuck it back in, my timing was dead on at 10 degrees. Talk about lucky.

The way it says in the TSRM (running off memory here) line up the crank pulley at 0*, then look in the oil cap until you see the cam lobe pointing straight up, then line up the notches on the CPS/Distributor and stuff it in.

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
GrimJack;1777862 said:
Not a problem, unless you took off the timing belt... which is really unlikely, given your description.

NO i didnt take the belt off when i took off the cam over to c if the cams are at 0* i notice the cams seals were leaking oil GREAT!!! for future planing do i have to take off the thermostat houseing to take off the cam cover...???? the Car has to be at operating temps before i can time the car correct? while the car is warming up the BOX used be jumped correct???

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
noel;1777925 said:
NO i didnt take the belt off when i took off the cam over to c if the cams are at 0* i notice the cams seals were leaking oil GREAT!!! for future planing do i have to take off the thermostat houseing to take off the cam cover...???? the Car has to be at operating temps before i can time the car correct? while the car is warming up the BOX used be jumped correct???

Since i'm a huge fan of teaching one to fish rather than handing out
food, I'd suggest you read the tsrm. It tells you exactly what needs to be done. Nothing more, nothing less.

:)

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
suprarx7nut;1777957 said:
Since i'm a huge fan of teaching one to fish rather than handing out
food, I'd suggest you read the tsrm. It tells you exactly what needs to be done. Nothing more, nothing less.

:)

i agree thanz for your help. im very new at this but i learned alot ...I bought a timing light and im going to put it to good use right now