Daily Driving a 2jzgte mk3

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
I am looking for opinions of people who have maybe done this and what they would have done differently. I currently have a 94 celica as a Daily driver, as well as 2 supras, one im rebuilding the 7mgte in to sell and the other is missing an engine. My idea was to get the blue 87 up and running and to sell it, then use that money to get a 1jz for the red car. But after thinking about how i live on campus at school during the semester, and over summer the commute is less than 10 miles to work. My thoughts now are of possibly selling the celica and using that extra money(roughly 2 grand) to get a 2jz instead of a 1jz and using the extra money to service the car better(suspension,brakes, w.e.) Without the celica sale im looking around 3k for the 1jz swap, and of course 5 with the celica sale.

What id like to know is that is it "smart" to have a 2jz supra as your only car, or would i be smarter to just keep the celica and settle for the 1jz? Any input is welcome.

Last edited:

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
As long as the build is not half assed and the car is maintained I don't see why not. Any motor and car that is properly maintained can be a DD.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
That ALL depends on the state of the 2jz and how its maintained as well as if you are goin to run upgrades.

Stock for stock. Either jz engine will be great for a DD if its in good shape and take care of well. Hell even the 7m if you solve a couple issues.

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
I plan to drive the heck out of my vvti 2j. I know several people who DD mkiv supras, again like they said the key is to have a good clean proper swap.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
1jz might get better gas milage with smaller injectors and smaller displacement. Mine goes anywhere i want within reason for 5$.

They have good power just dont get a butt load of torque like with the 7m. But once you start modding them they get good torque.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Well it will most likely be a jdm 2jzgte from some online company, my issue is the only one that usually has them is JDMengineDepot and I have heard some pretty bad stories about them and their engines. Anyone have any recommendations? I do have an importer near me that I know quite well, trust, and have done business with for years, and he has a 1jz chaser clip for $1200 out the door. I just cant get over the lack to torque though, I got into supras originally from loving the feel of my brothers cobra, but hating the reliability of it, and that thing was a torque MONSTER.

Regardless of where I get the engine I will check everything and change whatever is needed, besides just a normal tune up like the TB, waterpump,belts, filters, ect. The engine would be kept stock with maybe a few bpus until i get a feel for the car and am comfortable behind the wheel.(Going from a 100fwhp celica to a 300rwhp supra will be night and day im sure). After tha i will look for a DD t(if i sell the celica) and go for serious power.

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
DD the supra and buy a cheap little 50cc scooter for when the supra is down since your commute is short. 100 MPG and no insurance or registration required in some states

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
2j Hands down, Mk3's are fat asses so you'll probably burn around about the same fuel either engine just accelerating the mass from a standstill, once rolling I doubt there's going to be a difference.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Yea, my other option is to possibly pick up a bike for cheap summer DD once I feel that the stock 2jz isnt enough. Any suggestions on where to get an engine?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Got mine from jdm engine corp. Was spotless. Heard good and bad things. Pretty sure your not going to find a place with 100% good feed back tho.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Well all ive found are bad things about jdmenginedepot on other car forums. Bad things like the cylinder walls being rusty, finding turbo fins in the intake. And in every case jdmenginedepot has refused to offer and kind of help. They basically say "You cant touch anything internally, and then and only then if you start it and something is wrong will we offer a warranty", everything outside of internals isn't under ANY sort of warranty. But the 2jzgte with tranny is 1700$ shipped :/

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is also zerolift auto lab. They do a lot of business on zilvia.net with the 240 crowd. Heard good things about them.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
The JDM 2J stock is very fun/useful as a daily. You have an instant 10psi from the first turbo when you mash the gas pedal. Then when the 2nd turbo comes online around 4k rpm, it pulls even harder. I do not have a restrictor ring in my 3" exhaust and don't overboost as bad as others experience. The second turbo only creeps up to 14-15psi. I got mine from JDMsource.ca for $1860 shipped to my door.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Good to hear, the car will most likely have a quiet custom 3" exhaust system with an elec cutout, fmic, and an air intake to begin with.JDMsource.ca seems to only have one engine for $1800+ ship. Tiger japanese seems to have a really good rep, and a 2jz with vvti is only 1900(idk if it includes shipping or not). But first things first i need to get this blue car running and sold before i get to go shopping :(. Until then ill research 2jz VVti to see if I want it or not.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
ask92;1723869 said:
Good to hear, the car will most likely have a quiet custom 3" exhaust system with an elec cutout, fmic, and an air intake to begin with.JDMsource.ca seems to only have one engine for $1800+ ship. Tiger japanese seems to have a really good rep, and a 2jz with vvti is only 1900(idk if it includes shipping or not). But first things first i need to get this blue car running and sold before i get to go shopping :(. Until then ill research 2jz VVti to see if I want it or not.
Tiger Japanese is by far the worst place to order from. There are companies that unknowingly get bad engines once in a while and then there are companies like Tiger that actually mix-match/lie to make a buck.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No do not buy from tigerjapanese. They blow ass. You should be able to find tons of bad info on them.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
ask92;1723882 said:
Have you bought from them? Cause every thread i see on the web about them is good, but when i put in jdmenginedepot every single one is bad haha.
A friend down in Colorado Springs received a 2JZ with a chunk missing from one of the pistons and was told it had great compression in all cylinders. That's the only first-hand experience. Everything else has been reading off this site and supraforums about non-JZA70 engines/tranny's being mix-matched. You don't have to take my word but I suggest you spend some more time cautiously researching their business practices.