Daily drivers!

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Do you daily drive your supra? I do and I love it! Is your daily driver NA or turbo or maybe even v8? What did you go through to make it a daily driver?

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I daily my 89 Turbo (soon to go 1JZ). Has had some times where reliability was an issue but after those areas were fixed, she's been ticking like a clock.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Daily driven my current car since may 08. And dd another supra before that for 2-3 years.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Daily drove my 87 Turbo for almost a year until I blew the motor. Mods were intake, 3" turbo back, stock ct at 10 lbs, arp headbolts. Fun and reliable, surprised many people, and knocked down 24-27 mpg. I'm rebuilding now and will be DD'ing it again when it's done.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
I have been fair weather daily driving (may through October) my 87 for about 6 years. The first year was 7MGE, then 3 years of 1UZ-FE V8 and the last 2 years have been Whipple charged 1UZ-FE V8. More or less a very reliable car once the 7mge came out. Driving my supra is kinda like flying the TARDIS, It almost always gets you to about where you wanted to be and about when you wanted to get there but I has a will of its own and sometimes wants to do its own thing.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Supra%20Yukon.jpg

Weather dictates....And passenger needs.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
1992 7m-gte. DD since 2009. Almost 30 000 km's. Completely stock and almost completely original. Well if you can loose originality after replacing an engine with a bhg.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I daily drove my Supra from ~August 2007- October 2011. Just recently picked up a dd beater so I can keep the Supra out of bad weather.

I drove my 86.5 through 4" of snow, ~2" of water from serious rain, hail storms, 94 miles a day for two years strait... that one had a 7M-GE with W58 and lasted for 21,000 miles for me before the little knock developed into full on rod knock and loss of power. It left me on the side of the road countless times from faulty starting system, overheating, head gasket, rod knock....

When I got my 87 hardtop it was a 7M-GE automatic, and it had its issues, left me on the side of the road two times. I hardly had 3000 miles on it when the head gasket went, so I did the 1UZ swap. I built the car for daily driving and simplicity, one person can do almost everything maintenance wise on the car. And since the 1UZ swap the only failures I have had were the clutch slave cylinder the HOWE units. Other than that, it has been so reliable I almost couldn’t imagine anything else for daily driving. I have over 25,000 miles on my car with the 1UZ.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Was my daily for 4 years, now it's only a nice weather vehicle. I split daily driving between the 90 Supra, 91 Truck and '07 Ninja 500. :)

I'd like to get rid of the truck though. Maybe trade it for a clean gs300/400 or something.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bought my 89 NA 5 speed targa top supra in November last year knowing it had a BHG (but was still running well at the time). Fixed it and have been using it as DD ever since with zero issues.

Now looking for a cheap DD beater so I can do NA-T conversion and preserve it from bad/winter weather.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
DD my turbo. I don't see the point of owning a car as awesome as this and settling to drive a shitbox every day.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've been driving a Supra every day for a long, long time... If it's not 20 years, it's damn close. My current car is in my signature, and I've been using it as a daily driver for over 2 years by now.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MNBmk3T;1830066 said:
I daily my 89 Turbo (soon to go 1JZ). Has had some times where reliability was an issue but after those areas were fixed, she's been ticking like a clock.
That's just a rod. ;) :p

redrocco;1830082 said:
Driving my supra is kinda like flying the TARDIS, It almost always gets you to about where you wanted to be and about when you wanted to get there but I has a will of its own and sometimes wants to do its own thing.
I'm not even a Dr Who fan, but that's quite amusing. :)

Chambers;1830116 said:
...it has been so reliable I almost couldn’t imagine anything else for daily driving. I have over 25,000 miles on my car with the 1UZ.

Greek;1830174 said:
DD my turbo. I don't see the point of owning a car as awesome as this and settling to drive a shitbox every day.
Well said on both accounts. Same here, I've been driving a Supra for so long as a daily, it's a good feeling. Fortunately I'm blessed with a short commute. I can understand using other cars for commuting longer distances though, gas isn't cheap by any means.

Hmm, last 6.5 years of driving, I've used a Supra daily for probably a solid 5-5.5 of those years.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
te72;1830187 said:
That's just a rod. ;) :p

Hahahaha I don't think it is. But it could be :p

But in all reality you know what I meant. Rock steady reliability even through the snow that we got (I had winter tires on). Though I did spin on the highway when I had bald tires in the rain going around a bend with my foot to the floor (STUPID STUPID STUPID), as well I had to drive her into a ditch in order to not rear-end a brand new Subaru Legacy that as being test-driven and decided to SLAM his brakes in the left lane of the highway with me trailing close behind [I was in a bit of a rush ]

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I'd like to DD them, but they decide whether or not they want to cooperate..

But I drive the 92 the most when I can, my buddy is almost done with my 2JZ swap, can't wait!

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
I've daily driven my car for the past 2 years that I've owned it with no real problems...

I will be buying a "shitbox" soon though, I'd like to doing a build/restoration on the ol' Supra

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
I daily mine during the summer, but I do so knowing that if anything breaks, I have my truck. I had a Neon for a beater that I was using as my daily for a month, but it blew up halfway into a 300 mile road trip...
-AM3