daily driver

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
I searched but I couldn't find what I was looking for. How many people daily drive there 1jz. I was just wondering.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i did..............................when it was running.

its not bad at all. very reliable. just dont have a lead foot considering it practically builds boost at idle with the small twins. gas mileage gets shitty.

but stay out of it and its actually quite nice.

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
I drove mine every day (sleeping in the garage for the winter) Best fuel was 550km to a tank (mostly highway), worst was 300km to a tank (lead footing all the way). Ran beautiful every day, but I suspect its running rich, so I think these numbers could be improved. I have only changed my exhaust to a 3.5" BIC Thunder and now I get INSTA-BOOST. I know that boost is hurting my mileage, but I'm happy now until i upgrade.

JDM FTW :D

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
i been daily driving my 1j for almost 2 1/2 year and love it very reliable, and quick and smooth and everyone that rides in my car like it. gets like ~24mpg hwy/city mixed, with a lead foot it is a little less. which is the usual way i drive and i still get ~19 to 20

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
I've been daily driving my 1jz with the stock twins for over a year, ypipe back for almost a year. Converting to single soon cuz the twins are smoking a little bit at idle.

TurboToy-R said:
Best fuel was 550km to a tank (mostly highway)

I got 19.2 mpg on my last tank (320 miles/515km). ALL city miles, and my car doesn't reach full temp by the time I get to work since it's such a short drive (3 miles), so I'm sure I'm wasting a lot of fuel going back and forth to work everyday. I made a few changes and still have more to do so I'm hoping for 20's when I fill up next time and my eventual goal is ~25 city

1jz makes a great dd :icon_bigg

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
I thought it would be a good dd just like most otheir toyota cars but I just didn't couldn't find any threads about it. Have any of you had any ecu problems. Reaper I know you have had some.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
my mine's ecu just fried itself on my 1J

if your goin 2J you shouldnt have any of the shitty problems like 1J ecus have

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
Yea that's true ben. I'm not sure about the 2jz thing right now though. I will have the cash to go 2jz in january but there are to things holding me back. 1 the dwn time of not having a car(I havnt had 1 since november but will need 1 next month to drive to school and work), and to I won't be using my car because it may have frame damage from a fender bender and the rust that is in the spare tire well. I might try and buy elvis's 90 1jz car. That's why I'm asking this.

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
AGlobalThreat said:
I got 19.2 mpg on my last tank (320 miles/515km). ALL city miles
:aigo:

wow, something must be wrong with mine, cuz I also have a short drive ~3 miles too. Do you know what your A/F is? always staying out of boost? what are your relevant mods?

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
ahhhh, well 1J ecus suck nutsack IMO

you could always make yourself a jumper harness and run off a 2J ecu, elvis can tell you about that if you might get his car

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
What are you doing to your car ben? I just have to talk to elvis about it. He's a hard guy to catch up with. I still want to go 2jz I just have to see how things look in january. I would have about $6500 to spend but I would have to find a car to put it in and it would have to be done asap

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
right now, im gettin ready to do a stinger ems, but currently im relocating the fusebox and having problems with that.

if you wanted to do the 2J swap, i know of a clean 89 turbo 5spd you could probably pick up for a grand

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
What kind of shape is it in? What color is the interior/exterior, is it targa and who has it. The only thing holding me back from doing a 2j swap is worrying about how long its going to take and if I will have enough cash to finish it. I'm proably going to end up getting a 1j and swapping in a 2jz later.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
1J ECU's SUCK!!

i'm over them things lol. im going aristo ECU and Harness just because i am sick of the 1J ecu's and they are pretty hard to find now.

some people have never had problems but mine have been nothing BUT trouble. i just had to give back a good working ecu that i was boring from a local shop because they needed it back. so i ripped down my car and adding a bunch of new stuff.

i'll sacrifice my rev limiter just to NOT deal with blown caps all the damn time :)

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
TurboToy-R said:
:aigo:

wow, something must be wrong with mine, cuz I also have a short drive ~3 miles too. Do you know what your A/F is? always staying out of boost? what are your relevant mods?

I'll have my wideband installed with the single, as of now I'm not sure what it is. I boost 1-3 times per tank, on the last tank (320 miles) I boosted about 3 times. My mods are in my sig, mainly weight reduction (lots of unsprung weight and rotating mass), lots of cooling mods, some aerodynamic tweaks, and a handful of improvements around the engine.

I too had my 1j ecu crap out. Replaced it, haven't had a problem since.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
Tgood said:
What kind of shape is it in? What color is the interior/exterior, is it targa and who has it. The only thing holding me back from doing a 2j swap is worrying about how long its going to take and if I will have enough cash to finish it. I'm proably going to end up getting a 1j and swapping in a 2jz later.

its in pretty good shape last i saw (bout 2 weeks ago), exterior is the factory grey, paint only needs work on the rear bumper. interior is pretty clean and its maroon. right now its a 5spd 7M-GTE and it runs, just has no exhaust (its on my car now :biglaugh: ) ill pm you about who has it