D-Link or LinkSys, and Why.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Which do you prefer, and why?

I'm going to replace my LinkSys that is not working well anymore with another router. Its going to be 'N' and probably gigabit.

I'm thinking the DIR-665 by D-Link but I figure I'd ask your opinions on the two first.

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
just bought the d-link N wireless router and so far so good. i was under the impression that it was the cheap alternative to linksy though so i'm not sure how they compare

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I use a Netgear super-G. It's pretty damn good. I get signal everywhere on my laptop, even outside, and on my home PC which is in my room, one story up, and on the other side of the house from the router. :)

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
D-link suck cock.

I have a wireless router of their which died after 7 days of usage (my brother unplugged it by accident, now it reuses to access the internet, or let me go into the settings via ethernet. )

I wish I still had my old netgear :cry:.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
mkiiSupraMan18;1084341 said:
Did it ever? I have no experience w/ either, was just going to give my experience w/ all the linksys crapp I've used. lol

How did you kill your tool box?

cartel1_950;1084342 said:
just bought the d-link N wireless router and so far so good. i was under the impression that it was the cheap alternative to linksy though so i'm not sure how they compare

I have personal preference to D-Link, but the linksys was given to me and I can look beyond personal preference if a product is better than the one I prefer.

Brewster;1084357 said:
anything but linksys

So I've been reading :)

DonS1mpson;1084368 said:
D-link suck cock.

I have a wireless router of their which died after 7 days of usage (my brother unplugged it by accident, now it reuses to access the internet, or let me go into the settings via ethernet. )

I wish I still had my old netgear :cry:.

That sounds like more of a problem that lays between the keyboard and the chair than the router.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Justin;1084382 said:
That sounds like more of a problem that lays between the keyboard and the chair than the router.

You would have through so, but no. My step father who makes a living off of setting these god forsaken things up for people can't get get it to work either. The status and ADSL lights no longer come on, so I do reckon it's a hard where fault.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
I had nothing with bad experiences with my d-link wireless router. It would always randomly drop my wireless signal and i would have to go unplug the router and plug it back it for it to act right.

I recommend linksys, as they are sister company of CISCO Systems, and CISCO owns the internet ;)

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
I've owned 3 Linksys routers(2 wireless model wrt54g's, and 1 lan only model) over the last 12 years or so. Never had a problem with any of them with any pc, xbox, or xbox 360. All I've ever done was follow the directions when setting them up.

(If you're wondering, I've had 3 because I keep selling them when I no longer need them.)

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I haven't had many problems with D-Link, netgear, linksys, or any other router for that matter. I bought a dead Linksys once, but that certainly isn't an indication of normal experience.

In comparing a D-Link and Linksys model in the same price range, the D-Link had a bit more range and the user interface was more to my liking.

I have also spent some time on the phone with the customer support departments of both companies. Based on the limited information taken from those experiences, D-Link wins out. I was talking to a live person quite a bit faster and they solved my problem very quickly.

I have a slight preference for D-Link, but the differences are so minor it wouldn't stop me from buying another brand. D-Link always seems to be the cheapest when I'm shopping as well (when comparing models with similar features/pricepoint)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Linksys WRT54G-L with the Tomato firmware installed. Can't be beat. Super solid, never needs a reboot, configurable power levels to the wireless, almost the same level of features that you get in a commercial router.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Tried all three...

Netgear sucks ass, never worked right for the beginning and had issues with drivers for their wireless cards, ect ect ect

D-link and LinkSys are about the same though. I prefure LinkSys these days though.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
what is best and what works best and what hardware you are running... all depends on how to answer right..

in other words.. what works for some wont work for others so well as every machine has diferant hardware.. and software..

if i had to choose from what i have learned over the years.. linksys would be it..

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
I've had issues with my linksys router. Something about it and some games don't mesh well, when other routers don't have an issue. Using a WRT54G wireless. Friend of mine spent the extra cash on the D-link gaming router and swears by it. Have a friend with a netgear (and have owned netgear in the past) and is having issues with it, having to reboot it about once every couple days. Not sure on model number.

Just my 2ct on the subject. Seems like picking a good router is more a crapshoot than anything else lately with most companies quality control not being bulletproof.

Who

Supramania Contributor
Linksys wrt54gl, with dd-wrt firmware upgrade and the sky is the limit. By choosing this path you can keep adding routers on the cheap and cover just about any area you could imagine. WDS, Repeaters, HotSpot. My linksys and buffalo are both dd-wrt flashed and they work together like a charm. Forget about N.. the speeds they claim are under ideal perfect conditions only. Whatever your choice make sure that the routers are compatible with the free firmware updates out on the net.

DD-WRT

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
whowouldfigga;1084724 said:
Linksys wrt54gl, with dd-wrt firmware upgrade and the sky is the limit. By choosing this path you can keep adding routers on the cheap and cover just about any area you could imagine. WDS, Repeaters, HotSpot. My linksys and buffalo are both dd-wrt flashed and they work together like a charm. Forget about N.. the speeds they claim are under ideal perfect conditions only. Whatever your choice make sure that the routers are compatible with the free firmware updates out on the net.

DD-WRT
QFT.

I ran DD-WRT for years, recently upgraded to Tomato. I like it better, you should give it a try. :)

Folks, pay attention here... stock firmware sucks, whatever brand you run. Aftermarket firmware makes these a kick ass solution.