Cut out during acceleration

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
So I have this 1990 7m. During any acceleration more than about 1/4 throttle, it cuts out and jerks all over the place. It almost feels as though its not getting spark or fuel. I've changed spark plugs, wires, coil packs, ecu, afm, cps, injectors, and fuel pump. no luck. Any recommendations before i get rid of this damn thing?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Sounds like fuel cut to me. What turbo, AFM, injectors, etc? Need more info. How's your AFM wiring look?

RBD 305

Aug 19, 2010
Florida
I had this happen to me..turned out to be a bad tank of gas. I was at 1/4 tank and decided to fill up on 93 at some Exxon before a road trip..and about 1mile into the drive I started noticing those exact symptoms. Hopefully this helps!

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I checked the intercooler piping, i just put in a lexus afm to see if that would help, i sprayed brake cleaner over the engine while it was running to check for air leaks and didnt have any. All my wiring looks great, i even had 3 shops check it out to make sure. I'm running a Turbo Concepts TC70mm turbo. I think it's running like 14psi, but i never boost that much because the car cuts out before I even hit positive boost. I think the most I've ever got to boost was about 6psi. Im running the stock injectors for the moment, Ive replaced them twice now with known-perfecting operating injectors. I've filled up with 91 chevron gas like 6 times, and i even went as far as to mix 5 gallons of 100 octane gas AND a fuel system cleaner. Still no results. I put in a walbro fuel pump and aeromotive afpr yesterday. I re-did the timing again.

There's no check engine light on.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
have you reset the ECU after installing a new MAF. I've seen it on a 7m with a bad maf, the owner put the new maf and the car would act the same (as if it was in failsafe), after pulling the efi fuse, he got rid of the 34 with the new maf only

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
i pulled codes 12 and 24. i changed the afm for the 4th time and reset the ecu. it drives fine now but if i go wot, it will NOT rev passed 4200 rpm's. if im in neutral, it will rev to redline no problem. if im not boosting it will rev it fine. but once i get any kidna of boost, it cuts out at 4200. i have my spark plugs gapped to .28. is this a sign of spark blow out or fuel starvation?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Wait a min, stock injectors and lex AFM? You are running lean, you need to stop driving it that way,

EDIT are you running just the electronics or the entire lex housing?

Last edited:

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Well it's logical to free up restriction within the intake but if you don't balance the ratio between Air and Fuel then you're gonna run into some problems. Remember Leaner the meaner.

Which is why the 550s is a must when changing to Lexus.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's not fuel cut or you'd have a stored 34.

Code 24 sounds like a wiring issue to the AFM, and code 12 could be issues with the CPS (likely wiring).

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Well........... I feel like an idiot. I found the issue. The coupler for the intercooler piping on the tip of the I turbo was split on the backside. I couldnt see it though until I took it all out of the car.