custom intake piping, stock tb and manifold but fmic

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
hey guys i remember seeing a build thread where somebody made a custom pipe the that went from the tb to a fmic. he had to do the 2jzge ignition coil upgrade, alt relocation and battery relocation to do it if i remember correctly, and the piping went to front mount intercooler that had ports on opposite sides, anybody know who it was? I plan to do the same thing i just cant find the thread now, thanks.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its just a u bend that comes back around. If you moved the coil packs to the firewall you wouldnt need to the 2jzge coils. Kind of restrictive.

Kinda like the 1ggte.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I'm one of those guys but I don't remember having posted pictures. However, I did not relocate the battery to the back. The 2JZ-GE coil packs aren't a necessary mod for this at all. I eventually plan on getting the JDM throttlebody so I can toss away the little setup I had to come up with to actually be able to use the accelerator cable on the stock TB without giving the machine shop a big headache (they weren't too clever but did it for free). I haven't finished routing the piping but it's only because I'm in the middle of doing a bit of wire tucking and some other details.

Also, the first I/C is my old one and the second one is the current one. First one would be perfect for this if it had been thicker (inch and a half thick only) and somewhat wider so both mouths would come out exactly where I needed them. Nothing a 90 degree elbow can't fix though.

17435_436990970304_610370304_10552469_599862_n.jpg

26682_10150222069655305_610370304_12935210_4857264_n.jpg

62085_10150288474525305_610370304_14728009_3857399_n.jpg

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
i saw another one once...cant seem to find the pic now but....he kinda just did a bit of a 90 off the TB in its stock location...he had all the stuff done your saying too

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
it wasnt you, someone else and he had all the piping done, and ya i forgot you can just move the stock coilpacks, i already have the 2jz coils installed. somebody on here had a very nice set up, restrictive? i dont think its more restrictive than the factory set up, plus the factory intake manifold has great distribution

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Inygknok;1635379 said:

yes ive seen that one, but the one im talking about the guy didnt relocate the tb, thanks though

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
max-89supra(t);1635381 said:
it wasnt you, someone else and he had all the piping done, and ya i forgot you can just move the stock coilpacks, i already have the 2jz coils installed. somebody on here had a very nice set up, restrictive? i dont think its more restrictive than the factory set up, plus the factory intake manifold has great distribution

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

yes ive seen that one, but the one im talking about the guy didnt relocate the tb, thanks though

Keep reading in the same thread........................

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
max-89supra(t);1635531 said:
ya its pricey... still debating on what i should still do, the pipe idea is cheap and you dont gotta relocate the tb or alt, and i like that.

You can hack the stock manifold and turn it FFIM. The relocation bracket for the alternator is pretty cheap if you buy a block of aluminum and take it to a machine shop with the correct measurements. I got mine done for $30.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
what do you have to do to move the stock tb? is it hard? it has a lot connected to it. also, is there any info on here of ppl making the factory manifold into a ffim?

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
thats close to the ones i saw but the one i mentions the guy did that and left the tb in the stock location....then did the 90's...ill try to find the pic somewhere

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
jrot;1635575 said:
thats close to the ones i saw but the one i mentions the guy did that and left the tb in the stock location....then did the 90's...ill try to find the pic somewhere
Look at the thread I posted before, and read through the whole thread like I told the other guy >.>

You don't really have to do much for the stock TB. You'll have to figure out another way to rig up the PVC system. Check out IJ's setup here:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?43167-oil-catch-can-install

The vacuum hoses at the top of the TB are an easy fix. Just run new ones to finish those circuits. Might need longer ones but I don't know. I don't have the EGR anymore and I used one port for the AFPR and the other port is for the BOV. If you route the PVC the way IJ did it, you'll need to plug the big port that's opposite of the adjustment screw. You'll also need to extend the cables for the TPS plug a bit. The ISC will also need a long hose running to it from the accordian hose unless you're running a standalone; then you can just put a little filter on it. The coolant hoses that pass through the TB are for the heater and you'll just need to either remove it or figure out another routing for those. And finally the throttle linkage.... I used the stock linkage that seats on the valve covers just as a test. It's best if you get the JDM TB which has a direct linkage setup unlike the USDM version that has that "reverse" setup (needs to get pushed to open instead of getting pulled). And finally, you might have to extend the throttle cable a bit with an extension unless you replace the whole thing (but that's harder).

Here's the first prototype I got done to test things out. Eventually I had a bracket welded on at the back in the bolt hole where the EGR bolts up to (right below the brake booster fitting on top of the manifold) so I could attach and grip the stock cable. This works well until I get a JDM TB.
20935_467710830304_610370304_10779235_7972407_n.jpg

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
If you look at post 70 in the other buddys thread who just rerouted the piping to the stock intake manifold theres a slightly different style of piping: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...running-YAY)&p=1405026&viewfull=1#post1405026

His main build thread is here, Suruko had showed me a link to it in Flashchat the other night: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...-mkIII-build-thread!-(slow)&highlight=exilium

What I'm wondering is between those two designs which is going to be superior; to the first one posted I'd have to say that overall bend at the end is more efficient as a result of relocating the throttle body. But I'm wondering what negitive effects could come from moving it so far down the piping and effectively increasing both the volume and alot of the distance between the TB to the head; compared to using the sharper bends and leaving the throttle body in the stock position like the Exilium.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Its not the act of moving the throttle body down the pipe but rather the smoothing out of the bend into the manifold as a result of it not pushing the bends further over the engine that I was wondering about. The end question would be more what negitive side effects would come from relocating the throttle body like that. It looks like it would clearly flow better if one ignored the throttle body variable.