Crower or Pauter rods?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
That's funny - 'Big long wet noodle engines'.

The Pauter rods are looking like the way I may go.
The clearance at the base of the cylinder will be less of a problem, since I am going with a 85mm bore.
The pump shaft may not be an issue, since I am considering a dry sump system.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
I never heard any bad word about Pauter, here is my experience with these rods. First of all - when Rich (Suprarich) measured them big end bores were all over (random sizes :) ) He resized all rods and shipped set to me. Today I got call from machinist who is working on my short block. I went to his workshop and he measured in front of me my CP piston pins - perfect 22.000 mm, within Toyota specs. Then he measured small end bushing ID - it was hugely oversized, oil clearance 0.05 mm, 5 times higher then specs. And most interesting - some bushings got 0.02mm ovality, unbelievable.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mk3ukr;1375967 said:
I never heard any bad word about Pauter, here is my experience with these rods. First of all - when Rich (Suprarich) measured them big end bores were all over (random sizes :) ) He resized all rods and shipped set to me. Today I got call from machinist who is working on my short block. I went to his workshop and he measured in front of me my CP piston pins - perfect 22.000 mm, within Toyota specs. Then he measured small end bushing ID - it was hugely oversized, oil clearance 0.05 mm, 5 times higher then specs. And most interesting - some bushings got 0.02mm ovality, unbelievable.

Wow I'm shocked all of mine were 100% perfect!

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I have Pauter rods, and they have been robust to say the least. The customer service is excellent too compared to any other supplier I've worked with. (They actually listened to me, gave good advice, and then did what they said they would do in a reasonable amount of time.)

My block has more material removed than Ian's due to the stroker crank, but not as much as you'd expect, since my rod journals are only 2" v/s stock Toyota sized, that are larger than 2" OD. The smaller diameter rod journals make the rods more compact, but they still hit the bottem of the bores with the shoulder beam of the rod.

Also, as Ian points out, cutting down the oil pump drive shaft needs to be done. My first build, it cleared, and we never thought it would hit, but it did, and the impact pushed the oil pump shaft around enough to ruin it.

On my setup, I not only had to cut it down slightly, but also cut the "cutouts" wider, as the Pauter rods are wider at that point than the stock design. Toyota knows this engine flexes, that's why they cut out the oil pump drive shaft like they did.

Last is a machine work, assembly tip, especially if you are doing any coatings.

Do all your machine work, including the clearance work prior to doing any coatings. (Unles you are going to use a old piston for the mock up work.) Sharp edges while doing this will screw up the skirt coatings very quickly. The upside is I noticed things I might not have, but the down side is I ended up coating my skirts twice.

Point of advice. I used a large mill to machine the cutouts. Never thought it would result in a very large, and sharp edge into the bore, untill the piston was pulled down across it, cutting the skirts.

After you cut the clearance, take a stone, or emery paper wrapped around a dowl, and remove any sharp edges along the bottem of the bore. After pulling my piston, seeing the scratches, I flipped the block over, pulled the crank, and felt down to find the ridges.. promptly cutting my finger in the process. It was sharp, and it was larger than I expected! 20 min of work with a stone and sand paper around a stick, and it was fine.

Save yourself the blood, and expense. :)

Go with Pauter rods, they are excellent, and do the machine work, it's worth it to know the rods are the last thing that will fail on your motor.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Bump from the dead!

Will billet main caps increase the block stiffness enough to not need to cut down the oil pump drive shaft at all? One person (http://mk3ukr-supra.net/Stroking 7M.htm) had his oil pump shaft break after taking it down...although he might have needed to take it down that much because its a stroker.

edit: Looks like the notching of the block/cylinders is necessary, http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ng-the-block&p=1686647&viewfull=1#post1686647
IJ.;1686647 said:
Trust me on this I've used Pauters in 4 blocks and they all needed to be relieved, the Rods come with a Tech sheet explaining where/how much.

As I said though never seen a H Beam rod come even close, would be good if one of the Stroker guys could jump in.

BUT, that doesn't rule out not needing to take down the pump driveshaft diameter.

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
SideWinderGX;2036169 said:
Bump from the dead!

Will billet main caps increase the block stiffness enough to not need to cut down the oil pump drive shaft at all? One person (http://mk3ukr-supra.net/Stroking 7M.htm) had his oil pump shaft break after taking it down...although he might have needed to take it down that much because its a stroker.

edit: Looks like the notching of the block/cylinders is necessary, http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ng-the-block&p=1686647&viewfull=1#post1686647

BUT, that doesn't rule out not needing to take down the pump driveshaft diameter.

Ian is saying that it needs to. He had to do it with a non-stroked crank.

I did it on my stroked crank. HAD to.

It did not bump, it hit the shaft. Those pauter rods do not flex as much as H beam under those loads.

pauter all the way. (ps, they also are more than willing to make custom sized rods. if I recall the rods I had had a custom Honda pin top that were used on custom pistons.)