Crower or Pauter rods?

GeneSplicer

Jul 21, 2009
Alabama
My Crower rods have been on backorder for several weeks and I have been toying with cancelling the order and wait on some Pauter rods. Would any of you go one or the other way? Why/why not? They're the same cost at around $1100 so if one gives a discinct advantage I'd like to know... gotta hold up to 800+

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
IJ.;1372987 said:
Some things never change!

A few years ago I was faced with this exact situation and went for the Pauter's and had 0 regrets.

Ian, how much of the block had to be ground away to clearance the rods?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Moy;1373015 said:
Ian, how much of the block had to be ground away to clearance the rods?

About this much on a stock bore 7M ;)

assembly00.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yep mine had a couple of mm clearence and still managed to brush the shaft and chatter the bearings, quick cut in the Lathe and all was well.

Big long wet noodle engines move around a LOT more than you'd expect (part of why I'm not keen on solid engine mounts)

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
solid mount seems way too harsh anyways.

I knew motors at that range of speed could cause interference but to this extent, its just wow. makes me wanna dig up your old build and read for days.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I was a bit stunned that it could flex that much as there's plenty of clearence to the shaft :aigo:

Had to swap out the 7M crank as it had chattered #1 and #2 crankpins enough to be visible, turned the shaft fitted my spare identical prepped 6M crank and all was well again.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
so your saying that the older less balanced 6m crank out performed the heavier 7m? I would suppose so giving it revs out higher...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
No not saying that at all, both cranks had the same balance and identical prep work it's just that the 7M was marked up and I had the fresh 6M one there.

I was interested to see if there were any differences with just the crank swap, the Oil Pump drive shaft issue was corrected by turning it down 2mm.

As a direct comparison the 6M was harsher until 6500 but did accelerate quicker then it was impossible to tell any difference as the 7M gets busy from there to my 8500 limit, all of this inspired me to remove the same amount of weight from the 7M crank and put it back in so I had the best of both worlds.

crank01.jpg

crank02.jpg

crank03.jpg

GeneSplicer

Jul 21, 2009
Alabama
Naw guys, that's cool... I learned something! So if I do go with the Pauters then there's a little rod clearance issue... no big deal to do while it's in the shop... if the Pauters are super better than Crowers... I kinda placed them in the same league.

That's interesting info on the oil pump shaft... and an easy fix too. Thanks for the heads up.