Crazy AFM again !

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Well this is the 3rd time. the silly afm again. Car will start but will not hold idle. Troubles codes are both of the afm ones. I'm sick of it, and dont have the money to buy parts to fix. In my book... it's 3 strikes and your out, so my car is listed for sale on this forum. I will refrain listing on autotrader or craigslist to give you guys first shot at it, since y'all are more familiar with it and know my mods and how clean it is. thank you all for your support. BTW, the headgasket change was complete success. I have put about 1000-1200 miles on it, does not run hot, and until yesterday, when the afm went crazy again...was a thrill to drive. Feel free to ask any questions or shoot me a pm for my phone #.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Are you testing these AFM's per the TSRM, or just assuming it is bad because you have the AFM codes? You could have a related problem like wiring or ECU. I saw the for sale ad, and I would advise reading the rules for that section, and revising the post (not trying to be an ass, just trying to help)

BTW....I'm not far away, and love the car from the pictures you posted. I'll soon be in a better position, but not right now. I sure wanted to see a price though.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
ForcedTorque;1543481 said:
Are you testing these AFM's per the TSRM, or just assuming it is bad because you have the AFM codes? You could have a related problem like wiring or ECU. I saw the for sale ad, and I would advise reading the rules for that section, and revising the post (not trying to be an ass, just trying to help)

BTW....I'm not far away, and love the car from the pictures you posted. I'll soon be in a better position, but not right now. I sure wanted to see a price though.

yes, tested per TSRM. Didnt post a price because really I paid too much for the car, I know I'm gonna lose my shirt in the sale, but don't wanna settle for a lowball offer if I could of gotten more. I will try to take some updated pics tomorrow and post them up.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

NashMan;1543502 said:
if you ideal speed control is bad it will do that as well

Yea I checked that and its dead-on per TSRM

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

nosechunks;1543558 said:
Maft gen 2 and GM mass airflow meter would be a permanent fix and give you some tunability. It's what I did when mine shit.

Yes it would be, currently toying with the idea of converting it and keeping the car. Money does talk though, if I get a offer at the price I'm thinking.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

Just a quick update. And this is weird, as in I'll put it in the "7m motor-this is weird shit". Was checking this and that everywhere, found a suspicious looking power wire to my A/F gauge. It basically must of been pulled loose a little bit to cause a short, because that is what it was doing. I checked the voltage and the meter was reading all over the place. So I clipped the power and ground wires and crimped them closed. I intend on re-wiring it anyway because I have a Lotek 2 gauge pillar pod that will be here Monday. I will be putting the A/F, and the AEM Truboost in there. Anyway on to business... now the car appears to be idling fine and reading the usual -19 vac on the boost gauge at idle. Have not driven her yet because it's late and Im tired, didnt even bolt up the trim panel under the steering wheel yet, but I'll do that in the morning and then take her for a spin.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Strange. It was the power wire for the A/F Gauge or just a random wire with 12v+? Not quite seeing how that could cause this problem, though you didnt say what it was shorting against.

Did you ever clean the AFM?

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Yes the power wire for the A/F gauge, and I agree, does'nt really make any sense. I did see the hot lead going to the alternator spark and get hot. When I re-wire the gauges I'll have to do it from scratch. Yes, I did clean the afm.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
If you cleaned the AFM it is likely the problem. Does the car act up when the weather is rainy? Then clear up when its nice out? Happened to me until one day the car wouldn't start.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Alright i got two known good working afm's ill give you both for 100, see them online for 100 or so a piece. thats two for one. if you are interested in the idea pm me. No use selling the car if you are invested that much in it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Maybe ditch the oiled k and n and get a a used afm for 20-40$ seems pretty cheap than selling a car right after fixing a bhg.

91TurboSilver

May 5, 2010
WV
I fixed my "ruined" AFM. This sounds crazy but it does work. 1st fill air compressor up to 65-90 PSI then position your air attachment and nozzle above the smaller and shorter shaft at the far end of the AFM. Hold firmly and hit the little hole in the afm with the compressed air there will be a loud POP and the top will come off. Cleaned mine using bent q-tips windex and then alcohol. Use "Gorilla Super glue". Not the brown gorrilla glue but the super glue kind and no other cheapo glue when re-assembling. Allow an extra long time for glue to dry. Say 20 minutes then go install "bad" afm and be happy:) Mine took a couple of days to start idling perfectly and the Engine light was on but after a coupke days of driving it went off and stayed off.

Last edited: